How Much Does It Cost To Install An Interior Door?
Interior Door Installation Costs
One of the fastest and, relatively, easiest home improvements is to install a new interior door. The project does not require a large amount of labor if there is a pre-existing frame, and even with upgrades to the door frame, the price is reasonable.
However, some choices will bump up the price further, including opting for folding or pocket doors, special mounting requirements (such as the trendy barn door with its large, overhead mount), or doors with glass panels, and so on.
Additionally, the materials used to manufacture the door have an impact on the final pricing. There are hollow core doors of low-priced materials, fiberglass doors, and more. Opting to paint or stain a door will also add to the average price. Should the door frame and jamb require repair or reinforcement, that also boosts the cost. This interior door installation costs guide will consider an array of door styles and pricing.
Paint the door
Other considerations and costs
- Many property owners learn that their contractors or repair professionals can extend discounts if more than a single door installation is required. Many also offer a discount when doors are purchased through their service instead of purchased by the owner.
- Slab doors are often around $100 or less expensive than prehung doors but will require the frame to be in excellent shape for proper installation. There will also be costs for having the contractor do a professional measure before ordering and installing.
- Many property owners opt to do a door installation as DIY and then regret the decision. It is not the installation itself that is a problem but is instead the removal of the jamb, existing moldings, and casing that can become a challenge. Hanging the door is often a matter of moments, especially for a professional, but it takes skill to restore the door to its original good looks or a refurbished and attractive condition.
- If the door is a very common, slab-style that requires only the hinges to be properly mounted, it may not be a difficult task for the seasoned DIY enthusiast. Otherwise, it is always a good idea to hire a professional to tackle the removal, measuring, installing, and finishing of any interior door installation.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$2,120
- Bronx, NY$1,742
- Brooklyn, NY$1,452
- Philadelphia, PA$1,812
- Washington, DC$1,572
- Atlanta, GA$1,422
- Miami, FL$1,294
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$1,355
- Minneapolis, MN$1,590
- Chicago, IL$1,852
- Houston, TX$1,910
- San Antonio, TX$1,282
- Austin, TX$1,452
- Denver, CO$1,227
- Phoenix, AZ$1,294
- Las Vegas, NV$1,421
- Los Angeles, CA$1,601
- San Diego, CA$1,453
- San Jose, CA$1,755
- Seattle, WA$1,285
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: