How Much Does It Cost To Install Exterior Wood Doors?
Exterior Wood Door Costs
Doors that are exterior facing must close against weather and intrusion. Wood is a common style choice for exterior door material.
You will find that the cost to install average exterior wood doors depends upon material and finish grade, size, structural preparation and special needs, and the labor rate.
In the following table the Labor Cost figure is what the able and prepared DIY persons should expect to save by performing the corresponding tasks.
Exterior door replacement: remove and dispose of existing door, install new door; include costs for all material, equipment, and waste.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Wood door set: 36" wide x 80" tall x 1-3/4" thick, solid particleboard core; prehung, includes standard lockset, all trim, hardware, and touch-up.||$308||each||1||$308|
|Upgrade: additional cost for fan-lite glass in brass trim, security lockset, and other trim upgrades.||$391||each||1||$391|
|Remove and dispose: existing door; include transport and non-hazardous dump fees.||$45||per CY||1||$45|
|+ Labor Cost (remove)||$32||per hour||2||$64|
|+ Labor Cost (replace)||$38||per hour||4||$152|
|+ Labor Cost (upgrade)||$38||per hour||1||$38|
Other considerations and costs
- These prices are for service in the immediate area of the provider.
- Taxes and permit fees are not included.
- Exterior entry doors bear critical responsibility for security and weather sealing.
- During contractor inspection the homeowner should be informed of any repair concerns like rot, and the cost to adapt the existing door-opening structure.
- A project to replace more than 2 doors should enjoy a unit price discount.
- There may be local or national subsidy for energy efficiency improvements.
- This project may suitable for DIY with carpentry skills, unless of a critical deadline.
- Partial DIY of removal and disposal tasks are possible for the prepared DIY.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2015.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$914
- Bronx, NY$751
- Brooklyn, NY$626
- Philadelphia, PA$781
- Washington, DC$678
- Atlanta, GA$613
- Miami, FL$558
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$584
- Minneapolis, MN$685
- Chicago, IL$798
- Houston, TX$823
- San Antonio, TX$553
- Austin, TX$626
- Denver, CO$529
- Phoenix, AZ$558
- Las Vegas, NV$612
- Los Angeles, CA$690
- San Diego, CA$626
- San Jose, CA$756
- Seattle, WA$554
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: