Doors that are exterior facing must close against weather and intrusion as well as satisfy personal taste. Door choice can help reduce energy usage, increase comfort, and increase security.
The cost to install average doors depends upon type, material and finish grade, number of units, preparation and special needs, and the labor rate.
Material and cost summary
The common material choices are shown in the following table. The Cost relationship is based on the average door of the material indicated.
|Aluminum||No paint, no rust||Higher thermal transfer||Low or lowest|
|Thinner frame||Lubricating maintenance|
|Lighter weight||Difficult color matching|
|Vinyl||No paint, no rust||Wider frame||Low or lowest|
|Low/no maintenance||Difficult color matching|
|Scratches do not show|
|Steel||Galvanized no paint||Or painted||Low|
|Fiberglass||No paint, no rust||Lower availability||Higher|
|Scratches do not show|
|Wood||Stylish appearance||Surface maintenance||Highest|
|Best color matching||Organic material rot|
Type and cost summary
The common type choices and their typical cost per single installed 48” wide x 48” tall (except Bay Window) wooden unit of good quality products with insulating glass include:
|Screen||Vinyl no paint frame||Adding doors||$182|
|Storm||Vinyl no paint frame||Adding doors||$439|
|Security||Steel durability||Maybe painted||$555|
|Galvanized no paint|
|Exterior||Fiberglass no paint||Plain version||$679|
|Storm door function|
|Fire-rated||Code compliant||No window||$679|
|Galvanized no paint||Maybe painted|
|Patio slider||Aluminum no paint||Easier break-in||$960|
|Large glass area|
|Overhead double garage||Gives car access||Painted||$1,644|
Other considerations and costs
- Typical upgrades and accessories are reviewed in the related Cost Guide.
- These prices are for service in the immediate area of the provider.
- Taxes and permit fees are not included.
- During contractor inspection the homeowner should be informed of any repair concerns like rot, and the cost to adapt the existing door-opening structure.
- A project to replace more than 2 doors should enjoy a unit price discount.
- There may be local or national subsidy for energy efficiency improvements.
- This project may not be suitable to an able and prepared DIY person with typical contractor’s tools.
- Skillful carpentry is required, and a critical closure deadline is common.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2015.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Cost to install doors in my city
Cost to install doors varies greatly by region. To get free estimates from local contractors, please indicate yours.
Typical cost is about
Prices ranges from $182 (36" wide x 80" tall vinyl frame screen door) to $1,644 (steel overhead double garage door) and also varies depending on your zipcode:
Cost by city
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: