The door trim provides covering for the door jamb and the space between the jamb and the wall. The trim is made from pieces of wood that can help to improve the look of the interior of the entry into the home. You will find that most doors today will have some type of door trim.
There are many different types of trim available today. Some are quite simple and are little more than flat pieces of wood. Others are more intricately designed and can help to improve the appearance of the home. The cost of door trim installation can vary based on where a person is located and the contractor they choose for the job.
Door trim installation: 19 linear feet
|Door trim||$1.15-$2 per linear foot||19||$22-$38|
|Job supplies: perimeter foam insulation, exterior caulking, etc.||$20||1||$20|
|Labor Cost||$7.63-$8 per linear foot||19||$145-$152|
|Total Cost||$9.84-$11.05 per linear foot||19||$187-$210|
Other considerations and costs
- When choosing the trim, consider the look of the trim, as well as the paint color you will want for the trim. The cost of paint can vary based on how much trim you will be painting and the brand you will be using.
- The number of doors and their size will ultimately determine the amount of materials and labor that will be needed.
- It will typically only take a few hours for the door trim installation. The time it takes will vary if there are additional doors.
- You will need to remove any existing framing on the door, which can add to the cost.
- Consider the sales tax on the materials and supplies for your area, as well.
- Ensuring that you have measured/sized correctly when cutting the trim to size is extremely important. Cutting incorrectly could end up ruining some of the materials.
- Be sure you have all required tools, including a miter saw and a router
- Always wear safety glasses when working with wood.
- While DIY work for door trim installation is possible, it is not always the best idea. Those who do not have the skills or the tools to do it properly will find that working with a professional is a better option. They can provide more skilled workers and they can get the job done in less time.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.