How Much Does It Cost To Install A Sliding Patio Door?
Sliding Patio Door Installation Costs
A sliding patio door is typically a set of large, glass doors. One will be fixed into position permanently, and the other will operate as the “slider,” creating easy access to a yard, deck, or patio. They are very secure and protect the interior from the weather, but can be opened to allow fresh air and sunlight indoors.
It is a popular choice when upgrading or expanding a home, and the cost for sliding patio door installations vary widely based on the size of the door, the type of door selected, the glass chosen, the manufacturer and the amount of labor needed to mount and install the door itself. There will also be costs associated with materials such as locking mechanisms, molding, and more.
Door types include vinyl, wood, steel, and fiberglass. They can also be two panels with one fixed, or multiple panels, such as a three-panel design with one or two fixed doors, and so on. Finally, the door pane (the glass or other transparent material set into the door) bumps prices up or down. The options include Low-E coated, impact-resistant glass, high energy efficiency glass, gas-filled, textured, or tempered.
Typically, the project involves removing and disposing of any pre-existing doors or windows, as well as building materials. It may include framing out the door, but this cost estimator will consider only the sliding patio door installation into a pre-existing framed opening at the right size, and not the additional elements that may include knocking out the wall or cutting a space larger than pre-existing window framing, and so on.
|Remove and dispose of any existing doors and windows, which would also include transport and dumping fees||$45|
|Install new patio door in existing frame:||$1,000-$4,000|
Patio Door Roller
ENERGY STAR doors
$235 to $1,050 (+ base door price)
|Total Cost||$1,045 - $6,445|
Other considerations and costs
- Sliding patio doors are typically available in standard sizing and it is not common that any sort of custom sizing is required.
- You can find them in 6’8” heights, but up to six to 12 feet in width.
- Measuring from inside is the most accurate approach.
- Know whether it is to be a right-hand or left-hand mount.
- Most experts advise against vinyl doors as they can become quite dusty and dirty while being difficult to clean fully.
Check out our guide if you need a loan for your home improvement project.
- It is safe to say that any sliding patio door installation or replacement is not a DIY project. Even the most avid do-it-yourself enthusiasts understand that there are too many factors that can cause problems during an install, and after.
- Purchasing the least expensive doors is also something that most experts advise against. Though it can be tempting when paying a professional the price for installation, the lifespan of the door and their functionality over the long term are more important.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$6,016
- Bronx, NY$4,943
- Brooklyn, NY$4,120
- Philadelphia, PA$5,140
- Washington, DC$4,460
- Atlanta, GA$4,035
- Miami, FL$3,670
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$3,844
- Minneapolis, MN$4,510
- Chicago, IL$5,255
- Houston, TX$5,420
- San Antonio, TX$3,638
- Austin, TX$4,120
- Denver, CO$3,481
- Phoenix, AZ$3,672
- Las Vegas, NV$4,031
- Los Angeles, CA$4,541
- San Diego, CA$4,121
- San Jose, CA$4,978
- Seattle, WA$3,644
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: