Doors that are exterior facing must close against weather and intrusion. A fire-rated door is often required by code for garage access to the home, and in hotels.
You will find that the cost to install average fire-rated steel doors depends upon material and finish grade, size, structural preparation and special needs, and the labor rate.
In the following table the Labor Cost figure is what the able and prepared DIY persons should expect to save by performing the corresponding tasks.
Fire-rated door replacement: remove and dispose of existing door, install new door; include all material, equipment, and waste.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Galvanized steel door: 36" wide x 80" tall, 24 gauge skin, foam core; 20-minute fire-rating; prehung, with standard lockset, all trim, hardware, and touch-up.||$418||each||1||$418|
|Upgrade: additional cost for a medium-duty fixed exterior awning; aluminum frame, painted panel, gutter front edge.||$231||each||1||$231|
|Remove and dispose: existing door; include transport and non-hazardous dump fees.||$45||per CY||1||$45|
|+ Labor Cost (remove)||$32||per hour||2||$64|
|+ Labor Cost (replace)||$38||per hour||4||$152|
|+ Labor Cost (upgrade)||$38||per hour||3||$114|
Other considerations and costs
- These prices are for service in the immediate area of the provider.
- Taxes and permit fees are not included.
- Garages typically will have such a door to provide a safety exit for persons.
- During contractor inspection the homeowner should be informed of any repair concerns like rot, and the cost to adapt the existing door-opening structure.
- A project to replace more than 2 doors should enjoy a unit price discount.
- There may be local or national subsidy for energy efficiency improvements.
- This project may suitable for DIY with carpentry skills, unless of a critical deadline.
- Partial DIY of removal and disposal tasks are possible for the prepared DIY.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2015.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.