How Much Does It Cost To Paint Exterior Doors?
Paint Exterior Door Costs
Exterior doors can be painted to preserve their longevity and keep them looking newer, longer. This process is fairly simple and involves minimal costs, but there are still factors to consider in creating your project budget. You will need to consider the size and type of the door, the paint and materials that you need, and whether you will pay a painter to do the job.
Doors are unique, although fairly easy to paint. They do require more attention to detail, so it can cost a little more for labor than a basic wall painting job. Paint estimates should also reflect labor expenses like scraping and sanding and cleanup costs.
Exterior door painting: mid-range paint and materials and average labor costs with prep, equipment, and cleanup included.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Exterior latex-based enamel paint/primer||$5-$15 per door||1||$5-$15|
|Supplies and materials||$5-$10 per door||1||$5-$10|
|Material Cost||$10-$25 per door||1||$10-$25|
|Labor Cost||$32-$80 per hour||2.5||$80-$200|
|Total Cost||$90-$225 per door||1||$90-$225|
Other considerations and costs
- Painters typically suggest using a paint-and-primer-in-one product for exterior doors. Not only does it offer a more even application, but it provides protection in fewer coats.
- If you choose a premium paint with weather-resistant features or high-gloss finish, it could double the cost of your paint. Of course, on a job like this, that is really a minimal expense.
- Make sure that you only use outdoor-approved paints on exterior doors. You can get cheaper paint products, but they will crack, peel, and need to be painted over a lot sooner than a quality exterior paint.
- If you are buying a new door to paint, that cost is going to need to be factored into your budget. A lot of painters may even install the door after painting for an additional fee.
- If your door design is intricate or includes a lot of windows, it will take more time and increase the price that you pay for labor.
- If you are comfortable with the intricate details, painting exterior doors can be done by just about anyone. You may get better results hiring a professional, but you can reduce your budget to a fraction of hiring a painter by doing the work yourself.
- Make sure that you test the paint on a small area of the door before you commit to a full paint job. You don’t want to invest all the money and work into the project only to find out the color isn’t right or the finish won’t fit your needs.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$241
- Bronx, NY$198
- Brooklyn, NY$165
- Philadelphia, PA$206
- Washington, DC$179
- Atlanta, GA$162
- Miami, FL$147
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$154
- Minneapolis, MN$181
- Chicago, IL$210
- Houston, TX$217
- San Antonio, TX$146
- Austin, TX$165
- Denver, CO$139
- Phoenix, AZ$147
- Las Vegas, NV$161
- Los Angeles, CA$182
- San Diego, CA$165
- San Jose, CA$199
- Seattle, WA$146
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: