How Much Does It Cost To Install Steel Security Doors?
Steel Security Door Costs
Doors that are exterior facing must close against weather and intrusion. A common choice for a security door frame material is steel.
You will find that the cost to install average steel security doors depends upon material and finish grade, size, structural preparation and special needs, and the labor rate.
In the following table the Labor Cost figure is what the able and prepared DIY persons should expect to save by performing the corresponding tasks.
Security door replacement: remove and dispose of existing door, install new door; include all material, equipment, and waste.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Steel frame and bars: 36" wide x 80" tall, 18 gauge tube frame, powder coat and frosted safety glass; satin nickel hardware and lockset; with trim and touch-up.||$294||each||1||$294|
|Upgrade: additional cost for a fixed exterior awning; aluminum frame and painted panel, gutter edge, with hardware and touch-up.||$231||each||1||$231|
|Remove and dispose: existing door; include transport and non-hazardous dump fees.||$45||per CY||1||$45|
|+ Labor Cost (remove)||$32||per hour||2||$64|
|+ Labor Cost (replace)||$38||per hour||4||$152|
|+ Labor Cost (upgrade)||$38||per hour||3||$114|
Other considerations and costs
- These prices are for service in the immediate area of the provider.
- Taxes and permit fees are not included.
- Security doors bear critical responsibility for intrusion prevention.
- During contractor inspection the homeowner should be informed of any repair concerns like rot, and the cost to adapt the existing door-opening structure.
- A project to replace more than 2 doors should enjoy a unit price discount.
- There may be local or national subsidy for energy efficiency improvements.
- This project may suitable for DIY with carpentry skills, unless of a critical closure deadline.
- Partial DIY of removal and disposal tasks are possible for the prepared DIY.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2015.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$892
- Bronx, NY$733
- Brooklyn, NY$611
- Philadelphia, PA$762
- Washington, DC$661
- Atlanta, GA$598
- Miami, FL$544
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$570
- Minneapolis, MN$668
- Chicago, IL$779
- Houston, TX$803
- San Antonio, TX$539
- Austin, TX$611
- Denver, CO$516
- Phoenix, AZ$544
- Las Vegas, NV$597
- Los Angeles, CA$673
- San Diego, CA$611
- San Jose, CA$738
- Seattle, WA$540
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: