How Much Does It Cost To Inspect A Roof?
Roof Inspection Costs
There are many components to any structure, including areas like foundations, framing, and a long list of household systems. One main component is the roof, and periodically a roof inspection is required after repairs are done, prior to a sale, or even as a part of the roof certification process that aims to estimate the lifespan of the existing roof. It may be done to identify potential issues or signs of trouble, too.
The bulk of the cost for a roof inspection is the labor, and many experts conduct that inspection at a flat rate based on the type of roof (material) as well as basing pricing on whether the roofing is commercial or residential.
Roof inspection: by roof size.
|Residential roof inspection of up to 1,500 square feet at medium pitch: asphalt shingle.||$119-$450|
|Residential roof inspection of up to 1,500 square feet at medium pitch: tile or slate.||$238-$900|
|Commercial roof inspection of greater than 1,500 square feet: often without a pitch, tar or other material.||$1,000-$2,000|
Other considerations and costs
- When a roof inspection is being conducted it may be a good time to consider a professional roof cleaning, too. If the roof is being inspected because of problems or potential damages, it can be helpful to have the inspection done and things like moss removed, debris eliminated, and so on. Cleanings typically come at a cost of $225 to $400.
- The advent of the drone has allowed many inspections to be conducted in this safer, faster and more efficient manner, but there is not any significant savings on costs, with most requiring around $400 for the service.
- Thermal or infrared roof inspections are also an option, but they rank as the most costly with an average price of $500 or more the norm. This is an ideal solution, however, for a roof that is difficult to access.
Regardless of the purpose of a roof inspection, and whether or not it needs certification, it is wise to always hire a roofing professional with inspection and certification services to do the work. Not only is a roof inspection dangerous, but it takes special knowledge that most property owners do not have and which can help identify issues or prevent them from emerging.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$1,687
- Bronx, NY$1,386
- Brooklyn, NY$1,155
- Philadelphia, PA$1,441
- Washington, DC$1,251
- Atlanta, GA$1,131
- Miami, FL$1,029
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$1,078
- Minneapolis, MN$1,264
- Chicago, IL$1,473
- Houston, TX$1,520
- San Antonio, TX$1,020
- Austin, TX$1,155
- Denver, CO$976
- Phoenix, AZ$1,030
- Las Vegas, NV$1,130
- Los Angeles, CA$1,273
- San Diego, CA$1,155
- San Jose, CA$1,396
- Seattle, WA$1,022
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: