Roofing material is that which covers the roof structure and creates the building envelope.
You will find that the cost to install average wood roofing depends upon material and finish grade, surface area, preparation and special requirements, and the labor rate.
In the following table the Labor Cost figure is what the able and prepared DIY persons should expect to save by performing the corresponding tasks.
Replace roofing: of a 2,500 sq.ft. home with 2,900 sq.ft. roof area; remove asphalt shingles and replace with wood shake roofing; include miscellaneous material and waste.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|New roofing: install 2,900 sq.ft. of cedar wood shakes; includes one dormer, all ridge and valley metal, boots, flashing, nails, fasteners, felt underlayment, and edging.||$3.98||per sq.ft.||2,900||$11,548|
|Removal: remove 2,900 sq.ft. of asphalt shingles and felt sheet, strip to roof sheathing.||$0.02||per sq.ft.||2,900||$64|
|Disposal: transport and non-hazardous dump fees.||$45||per CY||20||$900|
|Fees and Material Cost||$4.31||per sq.ft.||2,900||$12,512|
|+ Labor Cost (remove and dispose)||$32||per hour||32||$1,024|
|+ Labor Cost (roofing)||$38||per hour||85||$3,230|
|Total Cost||$5.78||per sq.ft.||2,900||$16,766|
Other considerations and costs
- Roof height is less than 16 feet and so safety rigging is not included.
- Preparation is limited to an undamaged roof in perfect condition to be replaced.
- These prices are for service in the immediate service area of the provider.
- Taxes and permit fees are not included.
- This project is not highly suitable for DIY due to working at heights and the critical nature of successful and timely completion.
- Partial DIY is possible by taking on the task of remove and dispose, leaving the installation to a professional.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2015.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.