Tile roofing is a premium roofing option that offers more design aesthetic and may be a more effective roofing solution in some climates. The cost to install tile roofing is higher than standard asphalt shingles for a comparably-sized roof, but the exact costs will vary depending on a number of factors.
Tile roofing installation includes the cost of the tile and underlayment, as well as optional old roof removal, roof supports, and other factors. There are a lot of price variances depending on the type of tile that you choose, as well. Tile can be sealed for longevity and protection to create a stronger finish. Having this done will increase the total project cost.
By material: per sq.ft.
|Spanish tiles||$2-$4 per sq.ft.|
|Scandia tiles||$2-$4 per sq.ft.|
|Flat shake tiles||$2.25-$2.50 per sq.ft.|
|Double Roman tiles||$2.25-$5.00 per sq.ft.|
|Barrel tile||$3.00-$6.50 per sq.ft.|
|Pantile||$2.50 per sq.ft.|
|Frenchtiile||$3.25-$3.95 per sq.ft.|
|Riviera tiles||$3.00-$5.00 per sq.ft.|
Tile roofing installation: 1,500 sq.ft., labor included in the tile material pricing.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Removal of the existing roof||$10-$17.50 per sq.ft.||1,500||$15,000-$26,250|
|New underlayment||$2.15-$2.86 per square foot||1,500||$3,225-$4,290|
|New roof supports||$2,000-$6,000||1||$2,000-$6,000|
|Tile material||$2-$8.50 per sq.ft.||1,500||$3,000-$12,750|
|Tile sealant (optional)||$20-$40 per gallon||1||$20-$40|
Other considerations and costs
- Roofing is a very labor-intensive job. You can expect to pay 50% more than other roofing styles and sometimes as much as three times more. However, they do provide up to 100 years of longevity when properly maintained.
- Premium tiles are available, and you could spend upwards of $10 to $11 per square foot for custom or unique tiles for your roof.
- Concrete-based tiles are usually the cheapest option. Clay and terracotta look nice but are heavy and difficult to install.
- Permits and taxes are not included in this estimate.
- You can customize your roof installation with glazing, colored tiles, or custom shapes, which will add a premium cost to the total project.
- If your roof has a lot of angles or unique slopes, it may cost more for the labor to install a tile roof because of the increased difficulty and modifications required.
Tile roofing installation is not a DIY job. This project takes an experienced crew that has the right equipment to handle these heavy materials and install them properly.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.