How Much Does It Cost To Replace The Roof?
Roof Replacement Costs
A roof is an integral part of the home. While most roofing materials are designed to last 10 to 20 years or more, damage to your existing roof or a desire to improve the home could be cause for a roof replacement. A damaged or old roof can cause leaks in the home, which will lead to much more serious issues like mold growth, wood rot, and other structural damage.
The cost of replacing a roof may include damage repair if there is damage present at the time of installation. Asphalt shingles, which are still the most common roofing material, average $4.50 per square foot. There are a number of other materials available, including architectural tiles, slate, composite tiles, clay tiles, PVC, and wood shake shingles.
Roof replacement: 1,500 square feet, materials, labor, reinforcement/replacement of decking, and haul away/removal of debris and waste.
|Wood shake shingles||$12,900|
Other considerations and costs
- Roofing-over can be done in some roof installations, which can reduce your costs significantly due to avoiding the cost of removal labor.
- If decking damage covers more than 100 square feet, your installer may recommend a full decking replacement, which could significantly increase the price.
- Permits and taxes are not included. The average roofing permit, if required, costs between $400 and $500.
Check out our guide if you need a loan for your home improvement project.
- If you are familiar with roofing tools and practices, you can cut the cost of a new roof down to about $2,750 for asphalt shingles and all materials by doing the labor yourself.
- If you can’t do the work yourself, you may be able to save some money by purchasing and supplying your own materials.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$7.23
- Bronx, NY$5.94
- Brooklyn, NY$4.95
- Philadelphia, PA$6.18
- Washington, DC$5.36
- Atlanta, GA$4.85
- Miami, FL$4.41
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$4.62
- Minneapolis, MN$5.42
- Chicago, IL$6.31
- Houston, TX$6.51
- San Antonio, TX$4.37
- Austin, TX$4.95
- Denver, CO$4.18
- Phoenix, AZ$4.41
- Las Vegas, NV$4.84
- Los Angeles, CA$5.46
- San Diego, CA$4.95
- San Jose, CA$5.98
- Seattle, WA$4.38
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: