Roofing material is the exterior face of the building envelope that must withstand the harshest climate exposure.
The cost to install average roofing depends upon type, material and finish grade, covered area, preparation and special needs, and the labor rate.
Material and cost summary
In the following table the Cost figure is based on average roofing for a 2,500 sq.ft. home; and includes transport, material, equipment, and waste.
|PVC sheet||Lowest cost||Limited climate||$7,979|
|Asphalt shingle||Lower cost||20 year rating||$8,759|
|Steel sheet||Highly durable||Plain appearance||$12,612|
|Wood shingle||Classic||Higher cost||$15,742|
|Slate shingle||Stately||Special skills||$38,548|
|Copper sheet||Majestic||Special skills||$44,144|
|Long life||Most costly|
Other considerations and costs
- The roofing installation influences curb appeal directly and flaws are glaring ones.
- Typical upgrades and accessories are reviewed in the related Cost Guide.
- These prices are for service in the immediate area of the provider.
- Taxes and permit fees are not included.
- During contractor inspection the homeowner should be informed of any repair concerns like rot, and any cost to adapt the existing structure.
- There may be local or national subsidy for energy efficiency improvements.
- This project is not highly suitable for DIY due to working at heights and the critical nature of successful and timely completion.
- Partial DIY is possible by taking on the task of remove and dispose, leaving the installation to a professional.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2015.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Cost to install roofing in my city
Cost to install roofing varies greatly by region. To get free estimates from local contractors, please indicate yours.
Typical cost is about
Prices range from $7,979 (2,900 sq.ft. of PVC roofing) to $44,144 (2,900 sq.ft. of copper roofing) and also vary depending on your zipcode:
Cost by city
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: