If you are considering remodeling a bedroom in your home, you have several choices available to you. You might want to consider doing a significant remodel that expands the closet or that adds a new type of window. You might also be looking to add different types of flooring, adding or removing molding, or you might only need to paint the room.
There are countless permutations possible when it comes to creating a remodeled bedroom. These options, along with varying room sizes, means that the costs for remodeling can differ. The overall cost will depend on the changes you will be making, the size of the room, the materials you use, and whether you are only going to rely on professionals for the remodel.
Below, we will be looking at some of the average costs for the common types of bedroom remodeling needs that people have. When you are calculating your costs for a bedroom remodel, you will want to make sure that you consider all of the various elements that you plan to change and upgrade for the bedroom. This includes not only those mentioned below but also any decorating and furniture changes that you will be making.
Bedroom remodeling:12’x10’ bedroom, mid-range materials and labor.
|Item||Average Unit Cost||Total Cost|
|Insulation||$1.00-$1.50 per square foot||$120-$180|
|Molding||$2.50 per square foot||$300|
|Window installation: 2 mid-grade windows||$200-$250 per window||$400-$500|
|Carpet and padding||$10-$15 per square foot||$1,200-$1,800|
|Paint and primer: 2-4 gallons||$25 per gallon||$50-$100|
|Labor Cost (72 hours average)||$40 per hour||$2,880|
Other considerations and costs
- Those who are considering working with a contractor should make sure that they have quotes from several contractors before making their choice.
- Costs will vary based on location.
- Taxes not included.
- With bedroom remodeling, you will find that there tend to be many different types of jobs that are DIY friendly. This includes putting in new flooring and painting the room.
- Any remodeling that will involve electrical work or removing a wall should be left to those who understand what they are doing.
- Your work area should be clean and clear of furniture before beginning DIY work for the bedroom remodeling.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.