How Much Does It Cost To Remodel A House For Aging In Place?
Aging in Place Remodeling Costs
As people get older, many decide that they would rather stay in their homes than go to an assisted living property or a nursing home. People often feel more comfortable in their own homes. However, the home may benefit from undergoing aging in place remodeling to help ensure its safety. It is very important to understand that the actual changes made during aging in place remodeling will vary from one person to the next. Some people might need to have a wheelchair ramp put into their home. Others might need to change out the handles on cabinets and faucets to accommodate their arthritis.
By remodeling the property, it allows people to stay in their home where they are comfortable, and it ensures that they and their family will have peace of mind knowing they are safe.
Aging in place: projects commonly required in aging in place remodeling in a sample project, labor cost included, 2,500 sq.ft. home.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Widening of doors: for wheelchairs or walkers.||$800 each door||10||$8,000|
|Remodel of bathroom: to include safety features.||$6,000 per bathroom||1||$6,000|
|Installation of lever taps: for faucets.||$250 each||2||$500|
|Wheelchair ramp: installation at the property entrance.||$390-$1,800||1||$390-$1,800|
|Installation of stairlift||$4,000-$13,000||1||$4,000-$13,000|
|Total Cost||$7.55-$11.72 per sq.ft.||1,500||$18,890-$29,300|
Other considerations and costs
- While a lot of focus tends to be put on the interior of the home, it is also important to consider the outside of the property and make the appropriate changes there, as well. For some, this can add a substantial amount to the cost of the remodel.
- The individual living in the house, or a family member, must determine all of the various types of changes and updates that need to be made with the aging in place remodel since each remodel is unique.
- The cost of aging in place remodeling is often cheaper than the cost of going to a nursing home. The nursing home or retirement home has regular costs year after year that continue to go up.
Check out our guide if you need a loan for your home improvement project.
- There are many DIY options available for this type of project. Changing out the doorknobs and cabinet knobs for options that are easier to grip, removing throw rugs, adding seats to bathtubs/showers, and more can be a DIY project.
- For projects that are more involved, it is prudent to work with a professional contractor.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$38,706
- Bronx, NY$31,806
- Brooklyn, NY$26,508
- Philadelphia, PA$33,070
- Washington, DC$28,696
- Atlanta, GA$25,963
- Miami, FL$23,613
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$24,735
- Minneapolis, MN$29,017
- Chicago, IL$33,808
- Houston, TX$34,871
- San Antonio, TX$23,408
- Austin, TX$26,505
- Denver, CO$22,394
- Phoenix, AZ$23,627
- Las Vegas, NV$25,932
- Los Angeles, CA$29,219
- San Diego, CA$26,515
- San Jose, CA$32,028
- Seattle, WA$23,448
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: