How Much Does It Cost To Add A Bathroom?
Bathroom Addition Costs
Perhaps you want to have a bathroom added to your master bedroom. Maybe you have a growing family and you know that you are going to need to have a new bathroom soon. Regardless of the reason, you need to start thinking about the logistics and the costs of adding the bathroom.
In some cases, you might have a room already in the home that you want to transform into a bathroom. Other times, you may need to have an entirely new room added to the house. If you have to opt for adding a brand new room, the cost will be much higher than converting a space you already have. This is because the room itself needs to be built and added to the house. Even a small bathroom addition will be costly.
Bathroom addition: 40 sq.ft. bathroom.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Foundation, framing, finishing||$124 per sq.ft.||40||$4,960|
|Shower/Tub: installation included||$1,200 each||1||$1,200|
|Toilet: installation included||$500 each||1||$500|
|Sink/Faucet: installation included||$400 each||2||$800|
|Tile flooring: installation included||$14 per sq.ft.||40||$560|
|Labor Cost (electrician)||$70 per hour||16||$1,120|
|Labor Cost (plumbing)||$120 per hour||34||$4,080|
|Total Cost||$330.50 per sq.ft.||40||$13,220|
Other considerations and costs
- Having a separate shower and tub will add to the overall cost of the bathroom addition.
- Depending on the materials you are using the cost can vary. You can keep the costs down by using cheaper materials.
- You will need to have a permit to add a bathroom to the home. Once it is installed, it will need to meet all of the code requirements.
- Adding a new bathroom to the home can help to increase the home’s value.
- Remodeling and expanding an existing bathroom is cheaper than choosing an addition.
Check out our guide if you need a loan for your home improvement project.
While there are some elements that you might be able to do on your own, such as painting or even the flooring, the scope of a bathroom addition is large. It is best left to the professionals.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Websites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$21,236
- Bronx, NY$17,451
- Brooklyn, NY$14,544
- Philadelphia, PA$18,144
- Washington, DC$15,745
- Atlanta, GA$14,245
- Miami, FL$12,956
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$13,571
- Minneapolis, MN$15,921
- Chicago, IL$18,549
- Houston, TX$19,133
- San Antonio, TX$12,843
- Austin, TX$14,542
- Denver, CO$12,287
- Phoenix, AZ$12,963
- Las Vegas, NV$14,228
- Los Angeles, CA$16,032
- San Diego, CA$14,548
- San Jose, CA$17,572
- Seattle, WA$12,865
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: