How Much Does It Cost To Remodel A Laundry Room?
Laundry Room Remodel Costs
Renovating a laundry room requires the assistance of several different professionals. Your laundry room remodel costs are going to vary based on this, as well as a number of other factors. You will need a carpenter and generally-skilled contractor at the very least, and it would serve you well also to enlist the assistance of an electrician and a plumber to run the appropriate lines to the room and its appliances.
The size and location will also impact how much your laundry room remodel costs. For example, renovating a main-level laundry room with a solid plywood subfloor will be cheaper than remodeling a basement laundry room that needs waterproofing or extensive concrete work. The type of appliances and other features, such as a utility sink, will also impact the cost of this project.
Laundry room remodeling: including mid-range appliances, common materials, and other optional fixtures with labor included for an 80-square foot space.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Washing machine: purchase and install mid-range front or top-loading washer||$700-$1,200 per unit||1||$700-$1,200|
|Dryer: purchase and install mid-range electric or gas dryer||$730-$870 per unit||1||$730-$870|
|Utility sink: mid-grade resin sink, all plumbing lines and connections, and installation||$200-$800 per unit||1||$200-$800|
|Laminate flooring||$11-$20 per sq.ft.||80||$880-$1,600|
|Painting walls: three gallons of paint plus three hours of painting labor||$1.88-$3.19 per sq.ft.||80||$150.40-$255.20|
|Cabinets/Counters: optional, can be added for storage and/or workspace||$250-$2,000 per cabinet||2||$250-$2,000|
|Labor Cost (carpenter)||$70 per hour||8-16||$560-$1,120|
|Labor Cost (plumber)||$55 per hour||4-12||$220-$660|
|Labor Cost (painter)||$20-$35||3-4||$60-$140|
Other considerations and costs
- The labor rates above reflect the national average. You may pay more or less for hourly labor, depending on where you live.
- If you choose premium appliances or materials, you can expect to spend as much as 50% more on a laundry room renovation.
- You may want to consider expanding the laundry room. This will incur an additional cost and may require hiring an electrician or other contractors to complete the job.
- A small laundry room renovation that requires no plumbing or electrical work may be something that you can complete on your own. Simply adding some new storage space, upgrading the appliances and fixtures, or giving it a fresh coat of paint and new laminate floors are affordable and doable for the reasonably experienced handy person.
- If you want to save money on preparation costs, consider doing any necessary demo work yourself.
- Before you start any work, make sure that all appliances are unplugged and all utilities are shut off for everyone’s safety. Even if you’re only doing demolition, it can still be dangerous.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$9,960
- Bronx, NY$8,184
- Brooklyn, NY$6,821
- Philadelphia, PA$8,509
- Washington, DC$7,384
- Atlanta, GA$6,681
- Miami, FL$6,076
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$6,365
- Minneapolis, MN$7,467
- Chicago, IL$8,699
- Houston, TX$8,973
- San Antonio, TX$6,023
- Austin, TX$6,820
- Denver, CO$5,762
- Phoenix, AZ$6,080
- Las Vegas, NV$6,673
- Los Angeles, CA$7,519
- San Diego, CA$6,823
- San Jose, CA$8,241
- Seattle, WA$6,033
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: