How Much Does It Cost To Add A Bedroom?
Bedroom Addition Costs
Perhaps you want to build a new bedroom for children you are planning to have or maybe you want an extra room for guests. Regardless of the reason, a lot of planning and effort will go into creating a quality bedroom addition. The cost for the addition will vary based on the types of features you need, the location, and how large the room will be.
The exact size of the addition will vary based on a range of factors, such as the space you will have available for the addition, and whether you are making a master bedroom or a guest bedroom. It is important to keep in mind that a bedroom addition is different from simply remodeling an older, existing room and turning it into a bedroom. The addition will be increasing the number of square feet of the property by adding another room.
Bedroom addition: 130 square foot bedroom addition.
|New space addition: blueprints, framing, insulation, footings, siding, door, etc.||$124 per sq.ft.||130||$16,120|
|Drywall||$17 per sq.ft.||130||$2,210|
|Carpeting||$15.41 per sq.ft.||130||$2,003.30|
|Other materials and supplies||$3,000 per room||1||$3,000|
|Labor Cost (electrician)||$70 per hour||9||$630|
|Labor Cost (other)||$16 per sq.ft.||130||$2,080|
|Total Cost||$219.56 per sq.ft.||130||$28,543.30|
Other considerations and costs
- Many factors affect the cost of the bedroom addition, such as whether you need to add windows, the size of the closets, and how large you want the room to be.
- Do not forget the cost of adding furniture to the bedroom once it is finished. You might already have furniture that you own and plan to add, which will not add to the cost.
- There are available upgrades for the room addition, as well, such as adding a ceiling fan or crown molding, which can increase the cost of the addition.
- You are likely going to need to have permits, which will add to the cost.
- Your location and the cost of labor in your area will affect the pricing, as well.
Check out our guide if you need a loan for your home improvement project.
- The carpentry, electrical work, and the installation of any plumbing, if needed, should be handled by the professionals.
- There are some DIY projects that you can complete, though, to save some money. For example, you could paint the room yourself, which could cut down on labor costs.
- Whatever type of DIY project you want to complete for the room, make sure that you have the needed tools and the knowhow before you start.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$45,846
- Bronx, NY$37,673
- Brooklyn, NY$31,399
- Philadelphia, PA$39,171
- Washington, DC$33,990
- Atlanta, GA$30,753
- Miami, FL$27,969
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$29,298
- Minneapolis, MN$34,370
- Chicago, IL$40,045
- Houston, TX$41,304
- San Antonio, TX$27,726
- Austin, TX$31,395
- Denver, CO$26,526
- Phoenix, AZ$27,986
- Las Vegas, NV$30,716
- Los Angeles, CA$34,610
- San Diego, CA$31,407
- San Jose, CA$37,936
- Seattle, WA$27,773
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: