How Much Does It Cost To Design A Bathroom?
Bathroom Design Costs
When building or renovating a house, bathrooms can be tricky. Designing a functional space that also looks good, and often within limited areas, can be a challenge for the average person. In some cases, people choose to hire a bathroom design professional to assist with the design process. This is usually done by first having a consultation to discuss your needs, coming up with a design plan, and then creating drawings to assist in executing the plans.
If you have any structural changes, you may need an architect to sign off on the plans in addition to hiring a designer, which will impact your project costs.
Bathroom design:project estimates for designing a 40 sq.ft. bathroom, based on average costs and including meetings, designs, planning, materials shopping, drawings, and other necessary services.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Design plan||$2,500-$2,800 each||1||$2,500-$2,800|
|Price quotes||$1,500-$2,500 each||1||$1,500-$2,500|
|One-time consultation||$250-$300 each||1||$250-$300|
|Hourly rate for design services||$75-$150 per hour||24||$1,800-$3,600|
|Site visits: optional.||$100-$150 each||1||$100-$150|
|Total Cost||$153.75-$233.75 per sq.ft.||40||$6,150-$9,350|
Other considerations and costs
- If you don’t want a full bathroom design, you can often hire a designer for a one-time consult for a single fee, as seen in the table above. They will be able to come in and provide some design insight verbally, helping at least point you in the right direction.
- A bathroom designer will require more time for more complex plans or larger bathrooms. If your bathroom is a smaller space, you can often have this project done for much less than the average range.
- You should always choose a designer that is certified by the National Kitchen and Bath Association (NKBA). This will ensure that they are well-educated and experienced in designing bathrooms and kitchens specifically.
Check out our guide if you need a loan for your home improvement project.
If you want to design your own bathroom, you can do it with just a few hours of your time. It may not be the most functional or unique design like you would get from a professional designer, but you can use the internet for inspiration and see what you come up with.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$12,449
- Bronx, NY$10,230
- Brooklyn, NY$8,526
- Philadelphia, PA$10,637
- Washington, DC$9,230
- Atlanta, GA$8,351
- Miami, FL$7,595
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$7,956
- Minneapolis, MN$9,333
- Chicago, IL$10,874
- Houston, TX$11,216
- San Antonio, TX$7,529
- Austin, TX$8,525
- Denver, CO$7,203
- Phoenix, AZ$7,600
- Las Vegas, NV$8,341
- Los Angeles, CA$9,398
- San Diego, CA$8,528
- San Jose, CA$10,301
- Seattle, WA$7,542
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: