How Much Does It Cost To Add A Mudroom?
Mudroom Addition Costs
If you happen to live in an area that gets a lot of rain or snow, you might be thinking about a mudroom addition to the house. The mudroom works as an entry to the home that can be used for both people and pets, and it will help to reduce the amount of mud, slush, and other materials from outdoors getting tracked into the home. It also often serves as a place to store shoes, rain gear, snow gear, and similar types of items that should not be dragged through the house.
There are many different types of mudroom that could be added to the house. In some cases, you might already have space in one of the home’s entryways that could be converted. Other times, you will need to have full construction of the mudroom from the ground up.
Mudroom addition: 6’ x 6’ mudroom installation (36 square feet).
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Flooring: wood laminate||$15 per sq.ft.||36||$540|
|Wainscoting||$25.30 per sq.ft.||36||$910.80|
|Hooks and miscellaneous materials||$5 each||5||$25|
|Material Cost||$42.38 per sq.ft.||36||$1,525.80|
|+ Labor Cost (removal of old flooring)||$6 per sq.ft.||36||$216|
|+ Labor Cost (installation)||$145 per sq.ft.||36||$5,220|
|Total Cost||$193.38 per sq.ft.||36||$6,961.80|
Other considerations and costs
- The types of materials used and the style of the mudroom will all play a role in the overall cost.
- Other features added to the mudroom, such as benches or even a sink would add even more to the cost.
- The cheapest option is to simply convert a space that already exists by adding hooks, lockers, and storage areas.
- Some might want to combine their mudroom with a laundry room. This can add several thousand dollars to the cost.
- Consider materials that will make it easy to keep the mudroom clean.
- You will need to submit plans to get a permit for the mudroom.
- If you are adding a brand new room that has an exterior, make sure that the mudroom exterior matches the rest of the home.
Check out our guide if you need a loan for your home improvement project.
- The amount of DIY work will depend on the size and nature of the mudroom. Those who are only converting a space can do it on their own by adding in some new flooring, lockers, and hooks for jackets and similar gear.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$11,183.24
- Bronx, NY$9,189.66
- Brooklyn, NY$7,659.13
- Philadelphia, PA$9,554.94
- Washington, DC$8,291.30
- Atlanta, GA$7,501.53
- Miami, FL$6,822.62
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$7,146.74
- Minneapolis, MN$8,383.97
- Chicago, IL$9,768.28
- Houston, TX$10,075.41
- San Antonio, TX$6,763.36
- Austin, TX$7,658.15
- Denver, CO$6,470.43
- Phoenix, AZ$6,826.64
- Las Vegas, NV$7,492.64
- Los Angeles, CA$8,442.41
- San Diego, CA$7,661.09
- San Jose, CA$9,253.76
- Seattle, WA$6,774.79
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: