It might be a running joke that people who share a home are always turning their thermostats up in a sort of silent battle, but the thermostat is a crucial part of any home. Today, we can choose from the classic mechanical dials, electronic devices, programmable units, and even “smart” thermostats that can be controlled remotely via a home’s Wi-Fi system.
Whether it is a new installation or a replacement, it is best to hire a skilled and experienced electrician to do the work because there is no room for error where household temperatures are concerned. The good news is that the process is simple and something most electricians can quickly and efficiently handle. That means that the real differences in costs for thermostat installations come from the price of the thermostat selected.
Typically, it is labor that ends up being the most significant cost factor, and particularly if re-wiring is needed. For example, opening walls to access wires, fixing or updating circuits, and relocating the device will boost the overall costs substantially. It is essential to consider such factors when purchasing a new thermostat.
|Thermostat||$30-$300 depending on style|
|Labor||$65-$85/hour, most taking roughly two hours|
Other considerations and costs
- When considering this update, it is wiser to ask your contractor to do multiple zone installations as this provides far greater control than a single thermostat on each level, or at a single level of the home.
- It is entirely possible to find a smart thermostat that communicates with pre-existing technologies such as security systems and even home safety systems. Be sure to explore this before making a choice.
- A programmable thermostat is ideal for those eager to cut costs, save energy, and enjoy the most comfortable interiors possible.
- Speak with your contractor about compatibility with the existing system before purchasing any device.
As already noted, the removal and installation of a thermostat is a job exclusively for the skilled and licensed electrician or contractor. There are so many variables involved that it is wisest to hire an expert and discuss your needs an options before purchasing even the simplest thermostat to install in your home.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.