Ventilation installations include various types of equipment that can provide personal comfort improvement, energy-bill savings, and climate-protection of the building structure.
The ventilation installation provides for air-movement without further conditioning other than filtering. Fresh-air can be brought in, stale-air can be exhausted out, and circulating interior-air causes a cooling effect on human skin.
You will find that the typical cost of a ventilation installation varies by Type as seen in the following table, and in Related Cost Guides.
|Active||Higher cooling effect||Energy cost||Higher|
|Passive||Lower cost||Less controllable||Lower|
|Lower maintenance||Less cooling effect|
|No energy cost||Installations|
Other considerations and costs
- Ventilation can save money on energy bills, and help avoid damage repair work.
- Structural integration is often necessary, retrofit cases can be labor intensive.
- The cost of the retrofit new-opening of wood framed walls and roofs will start at around $75 per square foot and further depend upon integration materials and labor.
- When roof or exterior wall surfaces are being renewed it is a good time to think about new Ventilation installations.
- Always understand the energy consumption needs of any equipment you choose.
- There may be local subsidy or grant for the upgrade of energy efficiency.
- Multi-phase electrical circuitry is generally required for units of greater than 12,000 BTU’s per hour, or 5 horsepower, or 3.500 kilowatts.
- During the initial inspection the contractor should inform the homeowner of any and all necessary modification or upgrade on electrical circuits or building structure.
- The professional installer may charge an additional displacement fee or minimum-job charge.
- Some Ventilation installation work is DIY friendly, home improvement centers often provide DIY kits with the material.
- Ventilation installations may call upon several trade-skills including carpentry, roofing, and electrical; and call on their respective tool-boxes.
- Ventilation installations work may have a critical closure deadline.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2015.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Cost to install ventilation in my city
Cost to install ventilation varies greatly by region. To get free estimates from local contractors, please indicate yours.
Typical cost is about
Prices ranges from $74 (bathroom exhaust fan - DIY) to $700 (whole house fan) and also varies depending on your zipcode:
Cost by city
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: