Ventilation installations include various types of equipment that can provide personal comfort improvement, energy-bill savings, and climate-protection of the building structure.
The ventilation installation provides for air-movement without further conditioning other than filtering. Fresh-air can be brought in, stale-air can be exhausted out, and circulating interior-air causes a cooling effect on human skin.
You will find that the typical cost of a ventilation installation varies by Type as seen in the following table, and in Related Cost Guides.
|Active||Higher cooling effect||Energy cost||Higher|
|Passive||Lower cost||Less controllable||Lower|
|Lower maintenance||Less cooling effect|
|No energy cost||Installations|
Other considerations and costs
- Ventilation can save money on energy bills, and help avoid damage repair work.
- Structural integration is often necessary, retrofit cases can be labor intensive.
- The cost of the retrofit new-opening of wood framed walls and roofs will start at around $75 per square foot and further depend upon integration materials and labor.
- When roof or exterior wall surfaces are being renewed it is a good time to think about new Ventilation installations.
- Always understand the energy consumption needs of any equipment you choose.
- There may be local subsidy or grant for the upgrade of energy efficiency.
- Multi-phase electrical circuitry is generally required for units of greater than 12,000 BTU’s per hour, or 5 horsepower, or 3.500 kilowatts.
- During the initial inspection the contractor should inform the homeowner of any and all necessary modification or upgrade on electrical circuits or building structure.
- The professional installer may charge an additional displacement fee or minimum-job charge.
- Some Ventilation installation work is DIY friendly, home improvement centers often provide DIY kits with the material.
- Ventilation installations may call upon several trade-skills including carpentry, roofing, and electrical; and call on their respective tool-boxes.
- Ventilation installations work may have a critical closure deadline.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2015.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.