How Much Does It Cost To Install Ductless Air Conditioning?
Ductless Air Conditioning Costs
Ductless air conditioning is also known as split-system with its condenser unit mounted outside the building, and the evaporating unit mounted inside its climate zone with no ductwork. Refrigeration pipes pass into the building between condenser and evaporator.
You will find that the cost of ductless air-conditioning installation varies by type of unit, its cooling-capacity and efficiency rating, and the local labor rate.
In the following table the Labor Cost figure is what the able DIY person should expect to save by performing the corresponding tasks.
Ductless A/C installation: 600 sq.ft. zone for cooling and heating, with remote control.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|1. Ductless A/C: mini-split system, 12,000 BTU/h cooling and heating, 115 VAC; with all trim, weather stripping, hardware, and miscellaneous material.||$1,206||each||1||$1,206|
|2. Upgrade: new electrical circuit, 30 feet, 115 VAC, 30 amps breaker; existing load center space; 1/2" EMT tube exterior surface mount.||$3.13||per foot||30||$94|
|3. + Labor Cost (A/C)||$42||per hour||5||$210|
|4. + Labor Cost (electrical)||$42||per hour||3||$126|
Other considerations and costs
- Taxes and permit fees are not included.
- Energy efficient A/C will save money, and in some cases rebates may be available.
- For A/C units of greater than 12,000 BTU’s per hour (or 3.5 kilowatts) a multi-phase electrical circuit is generally required.
- For a sunny room, add 10% more A/C capacity than required for room size.
- Add 600 BTU/h’s per person if usually occupied by more than two persons.
- For the kitchen, add 4,000 more BTU/h’s than required for room size.
- During the initial inspection the contractor should inform the homeowner of any and all necessary modification or upgrade on electrical circuits or building structure.
- Home improvement centers typically offer a DIY kit with this product.
- This project may be suitable to an able and prepared DIY person with typical contractor’s tools. The installer may have to work safely atop ladders or scaffolding.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2015.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$2,275
- Bronx, NY$1,869
- Brooklyn, NY$1,558
- Philadelphia, PA$1,943
- Washington, DC$1,686
- Atlanta, GA$1,526
- Miami, FL$1,388
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$1,454
- Minneapolis, MN$1,705
- Chicago, IL$1,987
- Houston, TX$2,049
- San Antonio, TX$1,376
- Austin, TX$1,558
- Denver, CO$1,316
- Phoenix, AZ$1,389
- Las Vegas, NV$1,524
- Los Angeles, CA$1,717
- San Diego, CA$1,558
- San Jose, CA$1,882
- Seattle, WA$1,378
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: