How Much Does It Cost To Install Central Gas Furnace Heating?
Central Gas Furnace Heating Costs
The domestic central-furnace forces heated air through ducts to heated zones of the house.
Sizing the furnace per area of heated zones depends primarily on the regional climate assuming that house insulation properties are adequate. In the colder regions about 70 BTU per hour (BTU/h) are required per square foot of heating zone, in the warmer regions about 35 BTU/h are required per square foot.
The cost to install average gas central-furnace heating depends upon type, heating capacity, heating distribution, preparation and special needs, and the labor rate.
In the following table the Labor Cost figure is what the able and prepared DIY persons should expect to save by performing the corresponding tasks.
Central gas furnace heating: install unit suitable for ducted-heating of 1,600 to 3,200 sq.ft.; include delivery, all material, equipment, and waste.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Furnace: 113000 BTU/h heating output, includes thermostat, plenum, and typical vent and pipe modification.||$4,359||each||1||$4,359|
|Upgrade: install sheet metal ductwork; 6 duct runs and 2 return runs with typical elbows, attaching boots, 4" x 12" registers, and R-5 insulation.||$1,130||each||1||$1,130|
|+ Labor Cost (furnace)||$42||per hour||8||$336|
|+ Labor Cost (ducting)||$42||per hour||22||$924|
Other considerations and costs
- These prices are for service in the immediate area of the provider.
- Taxes and permit fees are not included.
- Energy efficiency subsidies may apply.
- Gas furnaces require the installation of both an exterior vent and a gas-pipe supply.
- The cost to operate the furnace follows the cost of gas in the climatic region.
- All types require strict compliance with all pertinent local codes and regulations.
- During contractor inspection the homeowner should be informed of any repair concerns like rot or revised code requirements, and any cost to adapt the existing structure.
Check out our guide if you need a loan for your home improvement project.
DIY considerations and costs
- In the very best of cases this installation may be suitable for the able DIY persons, but home insurance or local codes may require a licensed or certified installer.
- In all cases there can arise issues best left to professionals to resolve on the spot.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2015.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$7,542
- Bronx, NY$6,197
- Brooklyn, NY$5,165
- Philadelphia, PA$6,444
- Washington, DC$5,592
- Atlanta, GA$5,059
- Miami, FL$4,601
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$4,820
- Minneapolis, MN$5,654
- Chicago, IL$6,588
- Houston, TX$6,795
- San Antonio, TX$4,561
- Austin, TX$5,165
- Denver, CO$4,364
- Phoenix, AZ$4,604
- Las Vegas, NV$5,053
- Los Angeles, CA$5,694
- San Diego, CA$5,167
- San Jose, CA$6,241
- Seattle, WA$4,569
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: