How Much Does It Cost To Install Air Conditioning?
Air Conditioning Costs
Air conditioning (A/C) comes in various types and sizes of equipment that all offer the highest cooling potential, but also the highest cost to operate compared to other cooling approaches like ventilation or evaporative cooling.
The cost to install average air conditioning depends upon type, cooling capacity and zone coverage, efficiency rating, preparation and special needs, and the labor rate.
Type and cost summary
In the following table the Cost figure is based on average air conditioning for zones ranging from 340 sq.ft. to 1,000 sq.ft.; and includes transport, material, equipment, and waste.
|Type (cooling zone)||Pros||Cons||Cost|
|Window (340 sq.ft.)||Easy install/remove||Window blockage||$253|
|Low cost||Window only location|
|Portable (340 sq.ft.)||Easy install/remove||Ducted exhaust||$345|
|Low cost||Occupies floor space|
|Ductless (600 sq.ft.)||Flexible location||Some wall-cutting||$1,416|
|Wall (1,000 sq.ft.)||Flexible location||Wall opening||$2,225|
|Central (1,000 sq.ft.)||Higher efficiency||Ducting adds cost||$3,598|
|Multiple zones||Some wall-cutting|
Other considerations and costs
- Taxes and permit fees are not included.
- Energy efficient A/C will save money, and in some cases rebates may be available.
- For A/C units of greater than 12,000 BTU/h(or 3.5 kilowatts) a multi-phase electrical circuit is generally required.
- For a sunny room, add 10% more A/C capacity than required for room size.
- Add 600 BTU/h per person if usually occupied by more than two persons.
- For the kitchen, add 4,000 more BTU/h than required for room size.
- During the initial inspection the contractor should inform the homeowner of any and all necessary modification or upgrade on electrical circuits or building structure.
- Window and portable units are highly suitable for DIY, and split systems are commonly provided with a DIY kit from vendors.
- Wall and central units require greater skills and perhaps professional licensing.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2015.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$2,275
- Bronx, NY$1,869
- Brooklyn, NY$1,558
- Philadelphia, PA$1,943
- Washington, DC$1,686
- Atlanta, GA$1,526
- Miami, FL$1,388
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$1,454
- Minneapolis, MN$1,705
- Chicago, IL$1,987
- Houston, TX$2,049
- San Antonio, TX$1,376
- Austin, TX$1,558
- Denver, CO$1,316
- Phoenix, AZ$1,389
- Las Vegas, NV$1,524
- Los Angeles, CA$1,717
- San Diego, CA$1,558
- San Jose, CA$1,882
- Seattle, WA$1,378
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: