How Much Does It Cost To Repair An Air Conditioner?
Air Conditioner Repair Costs
Air conditioning is not a universal thing and is found in an array of shapes, types, sizes and styles. And when considering the costs of air conditioning, one key factor is the annual air conditioner maintenance cost, because this can also be a figure that helps you keep air conditioner repair costs as low as possible.
Unfortunately, even with regularly scheduled visits from HVAC professionals and vigilance about the air conditioning system in your home or office, there may come a time when professional air conditioner repair is required. At such times, DIY is never suggested. While it is possible to check a filter, plug and unplug a unit, and even see if a fuse has blown, most air conditioning systems are too complex for any sort of DIY effort.
Air conditioner repair: by type of repair.
|Potential Problem||Average Price for the Repair|
|Replace condenser coil||$1,900-$2,900|
|Replace condensate drain tube||$50|
|Repair refrigerant leak||$200-$1,500|
|Repair outdoor fan motor||$200-$650|
|Replace condensate drain pump||$250-$500|
|Replace drain pans||$300-$600|
|Flush drain line||$100-$300|
|Replace breakers, relays, or fuses||$100-$300|
Other considerations and costs
- It is important to remember that machine components may not be to blame, and it could be that new ductwork is required. This can be quite cost-prohibitive, though, as it averages around $2,000 for installation alone.
- Service calls may be a part of the cost of repair, and these will vary from $75 to $180, though they may be free of charge if a service contract exists on the unit or with the HVAC expert. Some service professionals can charge as much as $200 per hour for labor, including a service call.
- Annual maintenance will run from $140 to $200 and a contract with a provider may be as much as an additional $100 to $150.
- The average outdoor AC unit should last more than 20 years, and that is why a service contract is an essential part of ownership as it keeps repair costs under control.
- Air conditioner repair is never a DIY venture. Some maintenance and basic troubleshooting is the extent of the work the average homeowner should do on the system.
- When working with a professional offering air conditioner repair, be sure that they are a certified technician able to legally do the work and that they are level two certified, which enables them to work with the refrigerants used in air conditioning systems.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$2,410
- Bronx, NY$1,980
- Brooklyn, NY$1,650
- Philadelphia, PA$2,059
- Washington, DC$1,786
- Atlanta, GA$1,616
- Miami, FL$1,470
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$1,540
- Minneapolis, MN$1,806
- Chicago, IL$2,105
- Houston, TX$2,171
- San Antonio, TX$1,457
- Austin, TX$1,650
- Denver, CO$1,394
- Phoenix, AZ$1,471
- Las Vegas, NV$1,614
- Los Angeles, CA$1,819
- San Diego, CA$1,651
- San Jose, CA$1,994
- Seattle, WA$1,460
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: