The ductwork in your home is one of the biggest sources of lost energy efficiency. A system that is in good working order should only lose about 2-5% of the energy being transmitted through the ducts. Older systems or those with mechanical defects can lose as much as 50% of the energy, or more, and cost you a small fortune in the meantime.
If you are going to install a brand new duct network, an HVAC contractor will need to create a map that includes: ductwork lines that route the air efficiently through the home, vent locations, including whether they are ceiling or floor vents so that nothing is blocked by furniture or other items.
If you are replacing ductwork, the installation process will include removal of the old system. Expect to pay between $500 and $3,000 for this service. First-time installations in new construction or additions will not incur this charge. Make sure that old piping, ductwork, and HVAC units are disposed of properly. These items should never be thrown in the trash.
Ductowork installation: 30-90 feet.
|Flexible non-metallic economy||$30-$180|
|Fiberglass duct board||$135-$540|
|Elbows, joints, and other attachments||$5-$25 each|
|Duct fans||$30+ per fan|
|Foil sealing tape- 60’ roll||$25|
|Insulated duct wrap- 60’ roll||$40|
|Vents||$6-25 per vent|
|Materials and labor||$1,000-$5,000|
Other considerations and costs
- The type of ducting materials available have different applications. Your new ductwork may be comprised of multiple types of materials to accommodate for curves, corners, and other objects that need to be navigated around.
- Flexible ducting is available that includes built-in insulation. It is a lower-grade product, but costs about $1.30 to $2.50 per linear foot and can also save a step in the installation process.
- The average project will last 2-3 working days of 8-10 hours each. Plan for a maximum of 30 hours of labor to be safe when budgeting for ductwork installation.
- Permit fees and taxes are not included in this cost estimate.
- Homes with complex layouts or that were built without room for a ductwork system can easily cost as much as $15,000. In such cases, homeowners may opt for a ductless system, which averages around $2,500.
- Poor installation is the leading cause of HVAC and ductwork failure. It is also the main cause of energy loss in the system, resulting in as much as 40% of the energy lost just because it wasn’t installed right.
- Check building codes for ductwork requirements before starting any project. Also, make sure to check your homeowner’s insurance. Installing new ductwork may void your existing insurance coverage.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.