How Much Does It Cost To Install Gas Furnace Heating?
Gas Furnace Heating Costs
The domestic gas furnace provides for heating interior spaces, and always requires a gas-vent to the exterior.
Sizing the furnace per area of heated zones depends primarily on the regional climate assuming that house insulation properties are adequate. In the coldest regions about 70 BTU per hour (BTU/h) are required per square foot of heating zone, in the warmer regions about 35 BTU/h are required per square foot.
The cost to install average gas furnace heating depends upon type, heating capacity, preparation and special needs, and the labor rate.
Type and cost breakdown
In the following table the Cost figure is based on average gas furnace heating; and includes transport, material, equipment, and waste.
|Type (heating capacity)||Pros||Cons||Cost|
|Wall (22,000 BTU/h)||Low first cost||Occupies wall space||$795|
|Easy install||Limited area|
|Suspended (36,000 BTU/h)||Easy install||Occupies ceiling space||$1,184|
|Moderate cost||Heat rises|
|Floor (35,000 BTU/h)||Heat rises||Occupies floor space||$1,773|
|Less visible||Structural integration|
|Central (113,000 BTU/h)||Multi zone||Plus duct work||$4,695|
|Higher efficiency||Higher first cost|
Other considerations and costs
- These prices are for service in the immediate area of the provider.
- Taxes and permit fees are not included.
- Energy efficiency subsidies may apply.
- Gas furnaces require the installation of both an exterior vent and a gas-pipe supply.
- The cost to operate the furnace follows the cost of gas in the region.
- All types require strict compliance with all pertinent local codes and regulations.
- During contractor inspection the homeowner should be informed of any repair concerns like rot or revised code requirements, and any cost to adapt the existing structure.
Check out our guide if you need a loan for your home improvement project.
- In the very best of cases this installation may be suitable for the able DIY persons, but home insurance or local codes may require a licensed or certified installer.
- In all cases there can arise issues best left to professionals to resolve on the spot.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2015.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$2,848
- Bronx, NY$2,340
- Brooklyn, NY$1,951
- Philadelphia, PA$2,433
- Washington, DC$2,112
- Atlanta, GA$1,910
- Miami, FL$1,738
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$1,820
- Minneapolis, MN$2,135
- Chicago, IL$2,488
- Houston, TX$2,566
- San Antonio, TX$1,722
- Austin, TX$1,950
- Denver, CO$1,648
- Phoenix, AZ$1,739
- Las Vegas, NV$1,908
- Los Angeles, CA$2,150
- San Diego, CA$1,951
- San Jose, CA$2,357
- Seattle, WA$1,725
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: