Window Replacement Costs
Windows that are exterior facing must close against weather and intrusion as well as satisfy personal taste. Window choice can help reduce energy usage, increase comfort, increase property value, and increase security.
The cost to install average windows depends upon type, material and finish grade, number of units, preparation and special needs, and the labor rate.
Material and cost summary
The common material choices are shown in the following table. The Cost relationship is based on the average window of the material indicated.
|Aluminum||No paint, no rust||Higher thermal transfer||Low or lowest|
|Thinner frame||Lubricating maintenance|
|Lighter weight||Difficult color matching|
|Vinyl||No paint, no rust||Wider frame||Low or lowest|
|Low/no maintenance||Difficult color matching|
|Scratches do not show|
|Wood||Stylish appearance||Surface maintenance||Higher|
|Best color matching||Organic material rot|
Type and cost summary
The common type choices and their typical cost per single installed 48” wide x 48” tall (except Bay Window) wooden unit of good quality products with insulating glass include:
|Lower leakage||Clean from exterior|
|Sliding||Ventilating||Some view obstruction||$1,091|
|Clean from interior|
|Sash||Ventilating||Some view obstruction||$1,245|
|Clean from interior||Heavier opening|
|Casement||Highly ventilating||Outward opening||$1,489|
|Clean from interior||Some view obstruction|
|Bay||Increase interior space||Exterior obstruction||$2,666|
|Ventilating||Some view obstruction|
|Clean from interior|
Other considerations and costs
- The window installation influences curb appeal directly and flaws are glaring ones.
- Typical upgrades and accessories are reviewed in the related Cost Guide.
- These prices are for service in the immediate area of the provider.
- Taxes and permit fees are not included.
- If the installation requires a new opening of a wood-framed exterior wall, that work will cost from about $900 to $1,200 per window unit of 4’ x 4’ (or $56 to $75 per square foot generally), depending mostly upon local labor rate.
- During contractor inspection the homeowner should be informed of any repair concerns like rot, and the cost to adapt the existing window-opening structure.
- A project to replace more than 2 windows should enjoy a unit price discount.
- There may be local or national subsidy for energy efficiency improvements.
- This project may not be suitable to an able and prepared DIY person with typical contractor’s tools.
- Skillful carpentry is required, and a critical closure deadline is common.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2015.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Cost to replace windows in my city
Cost to replace windows varies greatly by region. To get free estimates from local contractors, please indicate yours.
Typical cost is about
Prices range from $888 (48" wide x 48" tall wood frame picture window) to $2,666 (96" wide x 54" tall wood frame bay window) and also vary depending on your zipcode:
Cost by city
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: