How Much Does It Cost To Install Window Shades?
Window Shades Costs
Installing window shades comes with an array of potential costs and prices. The variations are based on the many styles of shades from which to choose, the size of the windows, and the number of windows in the home. The complexity of installing shades also has to be a factor in estimating costs accurately.
Keep in mind that shades can be low-cost and in stock size or they can be cut to order and made of tremendously expensive materials. Additionally, the location of windows has an effect on the price, with difficult to reach windows usually having a premium tacked on to the total cost.
Window shades Installation: eight windows in a standard 27” size.
|Window shades: basic mounting hardware included||$7-$200 per shade||8||$56-$1,600|
|Additional materials||$15-$40 per project||1||$15-$40|
|Material Cost||$8.87-$205 per shade||8||$71-$1,640|
|Labor Cost (handyman)||$38-$40 per hour||6||$228-$240|
|Total Cost||$37.37-$235 per shade||8||$299-$1,880|
Other considerations and costs
- Costs do not include any fees for the removal of pre-existing shades, or repairs on the window framing that may be needed in advance of a new installation.
- Costs for disposal of previously installed shades are not included in the costs here.
- A new build or remodel may require the general contractor to organize this process, and it will come at a 13% markup or more.
- Any shades can work as more than decorative elements and there are always options for blackout shades, energy efficiency shades, and even noise-canceling shades. These, however, will come at a premium price and range from $40 more than the original per shade price up to $250 or more over the original cost.
- It may be possible to do a DIY install of basic shades, with the right tools. These would include a tape measure, level, screwdriver, and a power drill with bits.
- Whether an expert is hired to measure and then install shades or is tackled as a DIY project, it is a simple way to improve the look of the décor and even enjoy such benefits as energy efficiency.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$1,735
- Bronx, NY$1,426
- Brooklyn, NY$1,188
- Philadelphia, PA$1,482
- Washington, DC$1,286
- Atlanta, GA$1,164
- Miami, FL$1,058
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$1,109
- Minneapolis, MN$1,301
- Chicago, IL$1,515
- Houston, TX$1,563
- San Antonio, TX$1,049
- Austin, TX$1,188
- Denver, CO$1,004
- Phoenix, AZ$1,059
- Las Vegas, NV$1,162
- Los Angeles, CA$1,310
- San Diego, CA$1,188
- San Jose, CA$1,436
- Seattle, WA$1,051
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: