House siding is needed to close the exterior surface of the building envelope and it offers an opportunity to choose enhancements in appearance as well as insulating properties.
You will find the cost to repair house siding will vary with material, finish quality, amount of replaceable surface area, number of windows and doors, and the labor rate.
In the following table the Labor Cost figure is what the able DIY person should expect to save by performing the corresponding tasks.
Siding repair: remove, dispose, and replace 320 sq.ft. of siding.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Siding: install 320 sq.ft. of pine wood select grade tongue-&-groove siding; includes 4% waste.||$6.12||per sq.ft.||320||$1,957|
|Paint: roll two coats on 320 sq.ft. with water based products, including all materials and waste.||$0.36||per sq.ft.||352||$126|
|Disposal: transport and landfill fees, non-hazardous.||$145||per ton.||0.5||$72|
|Equipment and Material Cost||$22||per sq.ft.||100||$2,155|
|+ Labor Cost (remove and dispose)||$32||per hour||6||$192|
|+ Labor Cost (replace)||$36||per hour||12||$432|
|+ Labor Cost (painting)||$34||per hour||5||$170|
|Total Cost||$9.22||per sq.ft.||320||$2,949|
Other considerations and costs
- Taxes and permit fees are not included.
- Sometimes new siding can be mounted atop existing siding, saving removal costs.
- Wall insulation can be upgraded by placing sheathing material beneath new siding, or adding other installation inside the opened exterior wall.
- Some siding material provides additional insulation value.
- The contractor should inform the homeowner of any and all issues found during inspection, such as mold or insect infestations or necessary structural repair.
- This project may be suitable to an able and prepared DIY person with typical contractor’s tools. The installer may have to work safely atop ladders or scaffolding.
- Partial DYI is possible, leaving just the siding replacement to a professional.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2015.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web site