How Much Does It Cost To Replace Wood Siding?
Wood Siding Replacement Costs
If you have old siding that you need to replace, you might be considering opting for wood siding. Replacement with wood siding can offer some excellent benefits. One of the main reasons that people like wood siding is because of its appearance. It has a traditional look and feel that aren’t possible with other types of siding. It is easy to paint it in a range of different colors, as well. When cared for properly, wood siding can last for decades without needing to be replaced.
Wood siding is biodegradable, making it an environmentally friendly option, as well. However, you need to make sure that you are maintaining the wood siding properly if you want it to last. It should be stained or painted every couple of years to make sure that it is safe, and it should be examined for damage, such as termites.
Wood siding repair: wood siding on a home that requires 1,200 square feet of wood siding.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Wood siding||$6 per sq.ft.||1,200||$7,200|
|Painting||$2 per sq.f.||1,200||$2,400|
|Labor Cost (installation)||$4 per sq.ft.||1,200||$4,800|
|Labor Cost (removal of old siding)||$2 per sq.ft.||1,200||$2,400|
|Total Cost||$14 per sq.ft.||1,200||$16,800|
Other considerations and costs
- Because wood is more prone to fire than other types of siding materials, it is a good idea to choose wood that has been treated to be flame-resistant even though it will cost more.
- Different types of wood have different prices, and this will affect the overall cost.
- Get several estimates to make sure you are getting a good contractor and a good price.
- Staining the home is a cheaper option than painting, but it will serve the same function.
Check out our guide if you need a loan for your home improvement project.
- The installation of the siding is best left to the professionals rather than DIY.
- Maintenance and painting can be done by the homeowner, which can help to reduce costs.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Websites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$26,987
- Bronx, NY$22,176
- Brooklyn, NY$18,483
- Philadelphia, PA$23,058
- Washington, DC$20,008
- Atlanta, GA$18,102
- Miami, FL$16,464
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$17,246
- Minneapolis, MN$20,232
- Chicago, IL$23,572
- Houston, TX$24,314
- San Antonio, TX$16,321
- Austin, TX$18,480
- Denver, CO$15,614
- Phoenix, AZ$16,474
- Las Vegas, NV$18,081
- Los Angeles, CA$20,373
- San Diego, CA$18,488
- San Jose, CA$22,331
- Seattle, WA$16,349
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: