Lightning Rod Costs
A lightning rod is one component of a lightning protection system that is designed to conduct a lighting strike to earth, thus protecting the building structure.
You will find that the cost to install an average lightning rod depends upon the building dimensions to be protected, grounding circuit length, preparation and special requirements, and the labor rate.
In the following table the Labor Cost figure is what the able and prepared DIY persons should expect to save by performing the corresponding tasks.
Install lightning rods: and other material necessary to provide a lightning-grounding circuit for the 2,500 sq.ft. single story L-shaped home’s roof, dormer, and chimney.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Lightning rods: 6 rods mounted at roof peak and chimney; copper clad, 18"; with fasteners.||$40||each||6||$242|
|Cable: 150 feet of braided copper grounding cable, interconnecting all roof rods and making 3 runs to earth rods; including fasteners and waste.||$2.70||per foot||165||$446|
|Ground rods: with cable clamp.||$38||each||3||$114|
|Upgrade: additional cost to install a whole house surge arrestor to protect electronic devices.||$92||each||1||$92|
|+ Labor Cost (installation)||$36||per hour||16||$576|
|+ Labor Cost (upgrade)||$42||per hour||1||$42|
|Total Cost||$0.60||per sq.ft.||2,500||$1,511|
Other considerations and costs
- Using aluminum rods and cable results in 20% less Total Cost.
- Labor cost will rise with a “hidden” installation in a finished environment.
- These prices are for service in the immediate service area of the provider.
- Taxes and permit fees are not included.
- This project is somewhat suitable for DIY with good skills and tool set.
- The installer must work on the roof and may need safety equipment (not included).
- Electrical circuits and installations must comply with codes to reduce fire risk.
- Copper material should not be placed in contact with aluminum material.
- In some code regions it may be further required to interconnect the earth rods.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2015.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Cost to install a lightning rod in my city
Cost to install a lightning rod varies greatly by region. To get free estimates from local contractors, please indicate yours.
Typical cost is about
Prices ranges from $801 (2,500 sq.ft. home lightning protection - DIY) to $1,511 (2,500 sq.ft. home lightning protection with surge arrestor upgrade) and also varies depending on your zipcode:
Cost by city
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: