Electric Load Center Costs
The home electric load center is where the circuit breakers are located. It can become necessary to upgrade the load center for more breaker spaces and a higher power rating.
You will find that the cost to install an average load center upgrade depends upon the power and class ratings, number of breaker spaces, job preparation and special requirements, and the labor rate.
In the following table the Labor Cost figure is what the able and prepared DIY persons should expect to save by performing the corresponding tasks.
Upgrade a load center: remove existing 40 amp 4-spaces unit and replace with a 100 amp 20-spaces unit.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|New load center: indoor surface mount, 100 amp, 20 spaces, value pack with four each 20 amp 120V breakers, two each 30 amp 240V breakers, and the 100 amp entrance breaker.||$132||each||1||$132|
|Upgrade: additional cost to install a rain-tight load center for exterior surface mount.||$30||each||1||$30|
|+ Labor Cost (electrical)||$42||per hour||3||$126|
Other considerations and costs
- Labor cost will rise with a “hidden” installation in a finished environment.
- These prices are for service in the immediate service area of the provider.
- Taxes and permit fees are not included.
- This project is somewhat suitable for DIY with good electrical skills and tools.
- Electrical circuits and installations must comply with codes to reduce fire risk.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2015.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Cost to install an electric load center in my city
Cost to install an electric load center varies greatly by region. To get free estimates from local contractors, please indicate yours.
Typical cost is about
Prices ranges from $132 (100 amp 20 spaces load center - DIY) to $288 (100 amp 20 spaces load center - exterior upgrade) and also varies depending on your zipcode:
Cost by city
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: