Electric Outlet Circuit Costs
Electric outlet circuits deliver power where it is required in the home. They are subject to compliance codes and professional practices designed to reduce fire risk.
You will find that the cost to install an average electric outlet circuit depends upon the power rating, circuit lengths, preparation and special requirements, and the labor rate.
In the following table the Labor Cost figure is what the able and prepared DIY persons should expect to save by performing the corresponding tasks.
Install an outlet circuit: with a two-plug outlet located 30 circuit-feet from the home load center; 120 VAC, 15 amp breaker installed in available home load center space. Include miscellaneous material and waste.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|New circuit: install 30 feet of ROMEX surface mounted cable; 15 amp, 125 volt, #14/3 wire; two receptacles with box and cover.||$0.85||per foot||32||$27|
|Upgrade: additional cost to install THHN cable in exterior surface mounted 1/2" EMT metallic conduit with exterior rated outlets.||$1.71||per foot||32||$55|
|Material Cost||$2.56||per foot||32||$82|
|+ Labor Cost (electrical)||$42||per hour||3||$126|
|+ Labor Cost (upgrade)||$42||per hour||2||$84|
|Total Cost||$9.73||per foot||30||$292|
Other considerations and costs
- Labor cost will rise with a “hidden” installation in a finished environment.
- These prices are for service in the immediate service area of the provider.
- Taxes and permit fees are not included.
- This project is somewhat suitable for DIY with good electrical skills and tools.
- Electrical circuits and installations must comply with codes to reduce fire risk.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2015.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Cost to install an electric outlet circuit in my city
Cost to install an electric outlet circuit varies greatly by region. To get free estimates from local contractors, please indicate yours.
Typical cost is about
Prices range from $27 (30 foot circuit, exposed cable - DIY) to $292 (30 foot circuit, outdoor with conduit upgrade) and also vary depending on your zipcode:
Cost by city
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: