Standby Generator Costs
A standby generator is in place to pick up the power demand when a grid outage occurs, thereby providing backup power automatically when needed.
You will find that the cost to install an average standby generator depends upon the power and class ratings, power transfer controls, job preparation and special requirements, and the labor rate.
In the following table the Labor Cost figure is what the able and prepared DIY persons should expect to save by performing the corresponding tasks.
Install backup generator: to automatically provide backup power with engine start and circuit transfer on grid outage; hard wired interface at home load center.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Engine generator set: outdoor pad-mounted, air-cooled with 7000 watts output; LP or natural gas fuel; rain-tight enclosure; 10 second backup response time; unit delivered and placed.||$2,530||each||1||$2,530|
|Upgrade: additional cost to upgrade to a 100 amp, 16000 watt, engine generator set.||$1,610||each||1||$1,610|
|+ Labor Cost (electrical)||$42||per hour||3||$126|
Other considerations and costs
- Labor cost will rise with a “hidden” installation in a finished environment.
- These prices are for service in the immediate service area of the provider.
- Costs to install gas supply accessories are not included.
- Taxes and permit fees are not included.
- This project is somewhat suitable for DIY with good electrical skills and tools.
- Electrical circuits and installations must comply with codes to reduce fire risk.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2015.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Cost to install a standby generator in my city
Cost to install a standby generator varies greatly by region. To get free estimates from local contractors, please indicate yours.
Typical cost is about
Prices range from $2,530 (7,000 watts with 50 amp transfer control - DIY) to $4,266 (16,000 watts with 100 amp transfer control) and also vary depending on your zipcode:
Cost by city
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: