How Much Does It Cost To Build A Bungalow?
Build a Bungalow Costs
Though it sounds small, quaint and charming, the bungalow can be a two-story home that comes in a higher than average cost to construct. It is because of the premium quality of materials, finishes, and added features. Bungalows are “fancier” than most modern builds and they are often described as artisan homes.
For this project, you will need to pay an architect and a contractor to design and oversee the construction of your bungalow. Make sure that you aren’t paying your designer more than 10-17 percent of the total budget.
Building a bungalow: 2,500 sq.ft. bungalow.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Materials||$140 per sq.ft.||2,500||$350,000|
|Labor||$125 per sq.ft.||2,500||$312,500|
|Machine costs||$12,000 per project||1||$12,000|
|Total Cost||$269.80 per sq.ft.||2,500||$674,500|
Other considerations and costs
- Custom homes in the modern market are difficult to estimate accurately because of the diversity of materials and designs at work. For example, most industry experts argue that the price per square foot can range as widely as $200 to $400 per square foot, or more. Labor costs can be extremely high because of the need for finer, highly skilled finish work in the bungalow style.
- Costs provided do not include the price of the plot of land. It looks strictly at materials, labor, machine costs and contractor fees.
- This cost estimate is based on a basic four-square design. If a more customized footprint or style is desired, the costs for construction will be much higher.
- Premium construction and higher-end fixtures and appliances boost the materials cost on this home substantially. Labor costs will also increase because of the difficulty of the artisanal and Arts and Crafts style of work that a bungalow demands.
Building a bungalow-style house is never something that can be a full DIY project. A bungalow is a timeless style with loads of charm, but it is a costlier home that will require a lot of specialist work.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$1,083,497
- Bronx, NY$890,348
- Brooklyn, NY$742,062
- Philadelphia, PA$925,739
- Washington, DC$803,310
- Atlanta, GA$726,792
- Miami, FL$661,015
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$692,418
- Minneapolis, MN$812,288
- Chicago, IL$946,408
- Houston, TX$976,164
- San Antonio, TX$655,274
- Austin, TX$741,967
- Denver, CO$626,893
- Phoenix, AZ$661,405
- Las Vegas, NV$725,931
- Los Angeles, CA$817,950
- San Diego, CA$742,251
- San Jose, CA$896,558
- Seattle, WA$656,381
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: