How Much Does It Cost To Build A Shopping Mall?
Build Shopping Mall Costs
Mall construction is like no other construction project. The variables involved in this project are innumerable, including the fact that there are a number of size variances throughout the building and so many different materials are used. In order to design and build a shopping mall, a team is required that consists of an architectural firm or an architect, a lead contractor, and a team of subcontractors to get the job done.
Shopping mall building: 56,000 square feet. It will have four main anchor stores posted at each end and will measure four times in length what it measures in width. For the sake of insurance, most mall construction projects utilize materials in the “best” category of building materials.
|Materials: concrete foundation, steel or steel/wood roof, vinyl and carpeted flooring, interior wall materials, framing materials, lighting, plumbing, HVAC, security, brick exterior, and other optional and additional materials as needed according to design.||$11.9 million|
|Labor: malls can take months, and even more than a year to complete depending on the size and timeline of the project.||$10 million|
|Machine/Equipment costs: for various cranes, excavating equipment, cherry pickers, and other industrial equipment needed for construction.||$1.5-$2 million|
|Total Cost||$23.4 million-$24.9 million|
Other considerations and costs
- A strip mall may be cheaper to build and design, but doesn’t offer the indoor shopping environment of a mall.
- This cost estimate does not include taxes or permit fees. A shopping mall will require a number of different permits for new construction. Your contractor will generally take care of this for you and may include permit costs in their estimate or have you pay them yourself.
- Also not considered in this estimate is the cost of constructing and finishing the parking lot or parking structure. This is just for the main shopping mall building.
- Watch what your contractor is charging. They should account for about 14% of the budget. However, they could also create as much as $2-$3 million in indirect fees and unnecessary markup.
Building a shopping mall is a complex task that takes a whole team of trained professionals. This is never going to be a project that can be done on a DIY basis, for obvious size issues and equipment needs if nothing else.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$38,553
- Bronx, NY$31,680
- Brooklyn, NY$26,404
- Philadelphia, PA$32,940
- Washington, DC$28,583
- Atlanta, GA$25,861
- Miami, FL$23,520
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$24,638
- Minneapolis, MN$28,903
- Chicago, IL$33,675
- Houston, TX$34,734
- San Antonio, TX$23,316
- Austin, TX$26,401
- Denver, CO$22,306
- Phoenix, AZ$23,534
- Las Vegas, NV$25,830
- Los Angeles, CA$29,104
- San Diego, CA$26,411
- San Jose, CA$31,901
- Seattle, WA$23,355
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: