How Much Does It Cost To Raise A House?
Raise a House Costs
Perhaps you have decided that you want to add a second floor to the home, or you want to raise the floor to help reduce the possibility of flooding damage by raising the home above the flood plain.
Many have decided that they want to raise their houses to accomplish these tasks, but this process brings with it a range of costs, and they can vary greatly from one project to another. After all, there are different types and sizes of homes, and there are different contractors with different fees for their labor.
House lifting: raising a 1,500 sq.ft. house.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Structural engineer plans||$2,500 each||1||$2,500|
|Lift preparation||$10 per sq.ft.||1,500||$15,000|
|Foundation repair||$3 per sq.ft.||1,500||$4,500|
|Labor Cost||$7 per sq.ft.||1,500||$10,500|
|Total Cost||$23.33 per sq.ft.||1,500||$35,000|
Other considerations and costs
- The more the house weighs and the larger it is the more difficult and costly the process will become. More weight will require machinery that is capable of safely lifting the home.
- The condition of the house is another factor to consider. Homes that have damage to the foundation or the walls, for example, will be more expensive. In the case of serious damage, it might not be possible at all.
- The amount of time it takes to raise a house can vary. In many cases, it will be completed in a single day, but if there are repairs that need to be made to the foundation, it could take a week or more.
- If there is an emergency and the house needs to be raised right away, it will cost substantially more than if you were to schedule it in advance.
- You will also want to consider the costs of redoing the landscaping once everything has been completed.
- You are not going to be able to live in the home during the raising process in most circumstances. Therefore, you may need to find other accommodations during the lifting process.
- You should also make sure that you have moved items out of the house, so they do not become damaged.
Check out our guide if you need a loan for your home improvement project.
- This is not a DIY project. You will need to consult with the professionals in your area who have the experience, knowledge, and equipment needed to raise a house.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$56,223
- Bronx, NY$46,200
- Brooklyn, NY$38,506
- Philadelphia, PA$48,037
- Washington, DC$41,684
- Atlanta, GA$37,713
- Miami, FL$34,300
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$35,930
- Minneapolis, MN$42,150
- Chicago, IL$49,109
- Houston, TX$50,653
- San Antonio, TX$34,002
- Austin, TX$38,501
- Denver, CO$32,530
- Phoenix, AZ$34,321
- Las Vegas, NV$37,669
- Los Angeles, CA$42,444
- San Diego, CA$38,516
- San Jose, CA$46,523
- Seattle, WA$34,060
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: