How Much Does It Cost To Build A Pergola?
Build Pergola Costs
Pergolas are those charming structures that bring a bit of dimension to an outside space, and though it is not quite a gazebo or a shed, it is something that many property owners want to know a bit more about before opting to have one added to the landscaping. What a pergola brings to a garden is a bit of shade or coverage, as well as serving as an attractive structure for climbing plants and vines to do their thing.
Building a pergola: by material, 10’x10’ pergola, labor included in the cost.
|Fiberglass or aluminum||$1,000-$5,000|
Other considerations and costs
- Many property owners will opt to stain or seal their pergola, even if an exotic and/or impervious type of wood is selected as this prevents warping from ruining the project.
- Some homeowners will invest in a kit and hire a carpenter or handyman to do all of the assembly, which will come at a cost of $60 to $70 per hour.
- The costs of any permits needed are not included in the calculations.
- Before beginning any project, it is important to consider if the style of the pergola selected coordinates with the style of the home. Pergolas can be attached or unattached and they can be a sharp contrast to the exterior of the property. Before beginning, be sure that styles and materials are not clashing.
- Be aware of underground utilities when planning to build a pergola. Pouring footings necessitates diffing deep holes and when they are abutting a home or structure there is an increased risk of encountering electrical or water lines.
- Check out our guide if you need a loan for your home improvement project.
- If you are a builder and need insurance check out our Builders Risk Insurance Guide.
Pergolas are among the few structural projects that are considered DIY, particularly when kit options exist. The thing to remember is that a kit pergola assembled by an expert or by a homeowner is unlike a custom-built design. It will not have the sort of sturdiness and uniqueness of the truly original concept and it may not be what a homeowner has in mind. It is best to work with experts whenever making any sort of outdoor structure, including the pergola.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$4,819
- Bronx, NY$3,960
- Brooklyn, NY$3,300
- Philadelphia, PA$4,117
- Washington, DC$3,573
- Atlanta, GA$3,233
- Miami, FL$2,940
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$3,080
- Minneapolis, MN$3,613
- Chicago, IL$4,209
- Houston, TX$4,342
- San Antonio, TX$2,914
- Austin, TX$3,300
- Denver, CO$2,788
- Phoenix, AZ$2,942
- Las Vegas, NV$3,229
- Los Angeles, CA$3,638
- San Diego, CA$3,301
- San Jose, CA$3,988
- Seattle, WA$2,919
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: