How Much Does It Cost To Build A Wooden Carport?
Wooden Carport Costs
A carport offers an affordable alternative to a garage for those who want protection for their vehicle, but who may not be able to build an entire structure because of budget restrictions. While aluminum carports are cheap and common, many people choose to upgrade to a wooden carport for a nicer look and a better-quality structure.
Installing a wooden carport involves all of the lumber costs, hardware, roofing material, and labor. Your location will affect the cost of the project, as well. If you decide to put in a slab or driveway under the carport, paint, or install electricity, this will increase the cost of the project. Even with extra features, a wooden carport is still only a fraction of the cost of building a garage.
Wooden carport: 400 sq.ft., including all of the elements listed above.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Lumber materials: spruce and pine are most common, and cheapest, with cedar and redwood incurring the highest cost.||$0.50-$2.00 per sq.ft.||400||$200-$800|
|Concrete slab or base: optional.||$15-$20 per sq.ft.||400||$6,000-$8,000|
|Roofing materials: metal roofing and standard shingles are most common, prices vary by material choice.||$3-$12 per sq.ft.||400||$1,200-$4,800|
|Electricity Installation: optional.||$300-$500 per installation||1||$300-$500|
|Labor Cost||$10-$12 per sq.ft.||400||$4,000-$4,800|
|Total Cost||$29.25-$47.25 per sq.ft.||400||$11,700-$18,900|
Other considerations and costs
- You can choose to install a roof on your wooden carport that matches the roof of your home for the sake of architectural appeal. Doing this, however, may incur an additional cost based on the complexity of the roof and the material that you choose. Flat, A-Frame, and Domed roofs are all possible options.
- If you do not use treated lumber, you will need to apply a weather sealing agent to your carport once it is complete. Otherwise, the wood will not be protected from the elements. When using cheaper materials like spruce and pine, weatherproofing after you paint or stain is a must.
- If you choose, you can create or purchase a gate or fence to block in your carport for added security. This will incur additional costs for materials and for the labor to install the extra features.
Check out our guide if you need a loan for your home improvement project.
Building and installing a wooden carport is not a DIY project. This is a structure that will be protecting your vehicles, and it needs to be built properly and soundly by licensed, trained professionals with the right tools and equipment.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$24,577
- Bronx, NY$20,196
- Brooklyn, NY$16,833
- Philadelphia, PA$20,999
- Washington, DC$18,222
- Atlanta, GA$16,486
- Miami, FL$14,994
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$15,706
- Minneapolis, MN$18,426
- Chicago, IL$21,468
- Houston, TX$22,143
- San Antonio, TX$14,864
- Austin, TX$16,830
- Denver, CO$14,220
- Phoenix, AZ$15,003
- Las Vegas, NV$16,467
- Los Angeles, CA$18,554
- San Diego, CA$16,837
- San Jose, CA$20,337
- Seattle, WA$14,889
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: