How Much Does It Cost To Build A Detached Garage?
Build Detached Garage Costs
The cost for a detached garage varies from one region to the next. Other factors that affect how much you will pay to build a detached garage include the size of the garage, what features you want to be included, and whether you have an existing garage that first needs to be demolished and removed. Today, very few people request to have single-car garages built in new construction homes or when they are upgrading to a new garage. Rather, more people will opt for 2-car or 4-car garages that offer plenty of storage space for cars and other items.
Grading of the land is a big part of the cost for those who have existing demolition or a new construction site that is not graded and landscaped properly. This will also allow you to install concrete footings and a graded slab for ideal drainage.
You can choose to build a smaller single car garage or 1.5-car garage if you don’t need that much additional space. This will come in at the low end or below the estimates provided because you are building less square footage.
Detached garage: the basic overall installation cost of a new detached garage for various sizes.
|Item||Cost per Unit||Cost|
|Two-car garage||$86 per square foot||$58,432|
|Four-car garage||$60 per square foot||$86,400|
Materials: a closer look at the elements and their costs.
|Item||Cost per Unit||Cost|
|Concrete materials||$75 per cubic yard||$2,025|
|Roof trusses and support beams||Prices vary|
|Asphalt roofing shingles||$80-$100 per square foot||$700-$1,700|
|Windows||$300-$700 per window||Varies|
|Doors||$250 to $1,000 each||$250-$2,000|
|Electrical wiring||Hourly or flat fee||Varies|
Other considerations and costs
- If you are going to install automatic door openers, those cost around $300-$350 to have installed.
- You will likely need to buy one overhead garage door and one main door, at a minimum, for your new building. This can incur additional costs if you go beyond two or choose high-end materials.
- Are you also going to have organization systems installed or other upgrades completed? This is, again, going to increase how much you pay.
- Modern technology has created an increase in demand for smart vehicle charging stations. You can now even have one installed in your home for about $1,200.
Check out our guide if you need a loan for your home improvement project.
- A detached garage is not a DIY project. Factor labor costs into all your budgets before deciding on your next move.
- Even if you manage to do some of the building yourself, you should leave the garage door opener and other systems to the professionals.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$93,863
- Bronx, NY$77,131
- Brooklyn, NY$64,285
- Philadelphia, PA$80,197
- Washington, DC$69,591
- Atlanta, GA$62,962
- Miami, FL$57,264
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$59,984
- Minneapolis, MN$70,369
- Chicago, IL$81,987
- Houston, TX$84,565
- San Antonio, TX$56,766
- Austin, TX$64,277
- Denver, CO$54,308
- Phoenix, AZ$57,298
- Las Vegas, NV$62,887
- Los Angeles, CA$70,859
- San Diego, CA$64,301
- San Jose, CA$77,669
- Seattle, WA$56,862
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: