Whether it is to create a new workspace, a reliable spot for extra storage, or because you are tired of coming home to a rundown garage, the option for garage remodeling is always a good one. The average garage is sized for two cars and provides a small workspace in front of the vehicles.
A garage can be a fun and relatively easy space to remodel because many garages are not in a “finished” condition. For example, they may be entirely free of sheetrock (drywall) and have only basic or minimal lighting. Most have electric door openers, but that may be the extent to which space is finished. This makes it a blank slate for all kinds of improvements.
Of course, a garage may be required if the flooring is cracked or failing, the roof or walls are in bad shape, and so on. Many options will affect the final cost of the project, but for the most part, a garage remodeling project involves work on the floors, walls, wiring, lighting, and finish work.
Garage remodel: two-car garage.
|Materials:||$3 per square foot|
|Labor||$20 to $85 per hour depending upon the work being done, with painters at the lower end and electricians and carpenters at the higher per hour rates|
|Garage Door||$500 to $800|
|New Garage Door Opener||$400|
Other considerations and costs
- Most have functional garage door systems, with openers, but any upgrade or remodel is an excellent time to consider new doors and a new opener. After all, the garage can be the most commonly used entrance into the home, and it can be a make or break factor in curb appeal.
- Insulating the interior walls before having any drywall installation is a very wise investment, and will cost under $1 per square foot while helping to keep heating and cooling costs down, or regulate the interior of the garage to a higher degree.
- Many homeowners look at a garage remodeling project as a time to update storage and workspaces. Adding new cabinetry at the end of the garage, including countertops for projects of all kinds, as well as overhead storage, wall storage, and organizer bins is a wise investment. It will require professional cabinet installation at around $70 per hour as well as the cost of cabinets (typically from $500 to $2,000) but can make a tremendous difference inside the space.
- Be aware that a lot of the work in a garage remodel may require permits from local agencies.
Can you do a garage remodel on your own? Certainly, but to get the fastest and best results, it is always best to consult with a contractor and get the work done on a rapid timeline and by skilled professionals.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.