Gravel Driveway Costs
Gravel is a common material choice for an exterior driveway and parking apron.
You will find that the cost to install average gravel driveway depends upon material and finish grade, surface area and material volume, preparation and special needs, and the labor rate.
In the following table the Labor Cost figure is what the able and prepared DIY persons should expect to save by performing the corresponding tasks.
Driveway: 300 feet of single lane driveway with additional 500 sq.ft. of parking apron; include costs for all material, equipment, and waste.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Gravel driveway: transport 3/8" washed gravel 5 miles and spread to 6” depth along 300' of 8' wide lane and 500 sq.ft. of parking; total 2,900 sq.ft.||$0.74||per sq.ft.||2,900||$2,135|
|Upgrade: additional cost for 150 feet of built in place concrete square curb 6" tall x 12" base.||$4.21||per foot||150||$632|
|Material Cost||$0.95||per sq.ft.||2,900||$2,767|
|+ Labor Cost (gravel spreading)||$32||per hour||8||$256|
|+ Labor Cost (upgrade)||$36||per hour||16||$576|
|Total Cost||$1.24||per sq.ft.||2,900||$3,599|
Other considerations and costs
- These prices are for service in the immediate area of the provider.
- Taxes and permit fees are not included.
- Additional hand-excavation of typical soil will cost around $50 per cubic yard.
- Typical additional residential site clearing and preparation tasks range in cost from $0.50 to $1.50 per sq.ft. depending on amount and size of material, and transport.
- These flatwork examples do not include engineering attention to curves or inclines.
- This project is suitable for DIY with common set of tools and skills.
- Partial DIY is also possible by taking on the task of light spreading of gravel.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2015.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Cost to install gravel driveway in my city
Cost to install gravel driveway varies greatly by region. To get free estimates from local contractors, please indicate yours.
Typical cost is about
Prices ranges from $2,135 (2,900 sq.ft. gravel drive - DIY) to $3,599 (2,900 sq.ft. gravel drive - upgraded) and also varies depending on your zipcode:
Cost by city
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: