Gravel Sidewalk Costs
Gravel is a common material choice for an exterior sidewalk.
You will find that the cost to install average gravel sidewalk depends upon surface area and material volume, preparation and special needs, and the labor rate.
In the following table the Labor Cost figure is what the able and prepared DIY persons should expect to save by performing the corresponding tasks.
Gravel sidewalk: 200 feet of perimeter sidewalk around a 2,500 sq.ft. house footprint; include costs for miscellaneous material, 25 mile delivery range, equipment, and waste.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Gravel sidewalk: prepare, spread, and tamp 200 linear feet of 48" wide by 6" thick base of washed gravel.||$2.21||per foot||200||$442|
|Upgrade: additional cost for 200 feet of concrete curb 6" tall x 12" wide.||$4.27||per foot||200||$855|
|Material Cost||$6.48||per foot||200||$1,297|
|+ Labor Cost (base)||$36||per hour||26||$936|
|+ Labor Cost (upgrade)||$36||per hour||33||$1,188|
|Total Cost||$17.10||per foot||200||$3,421|
Other considerations and costs
- These prices are for service in the immediate service area of the provider.
- Taxes and permit fees are not included.
- Additional hand-excavation of typical soil will cost around $50 per cubic yard.
- Typical additional residential site clearing and preparation tasks range in cost from $0.50 to $1.50 per sq.ft. depending on amount and size of material, and transport.
- These flatwork examples do not include engineering attention to curves or inclines.
- This project is somewhat suitable for DIY with a good set of tools and skills.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2015.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Cost to install gravel sidewalk in my city
Cost to install gravel sidewalk varies greatly by region. To get free estimates from local contractors, please indicate yours.
Typical cost is about
Prices ranges from $442 (800 sq.ft. gravel sidewalk - DIY) to $3,420 (800 sq.ft. gravel sidewalk upgraded) and also varies depending on your zipcode:
Cost by city
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: