Asphalt is a common material choice for an exterior sidewalk.
You will find that the cost to install average asphalt sidewalk depends upon material and finish grade, surface area and material volume, preparation and special needs, and the labor rate.
In the following table the Labor Cost figure is what the able and prepared DIY persons should expect to save by performing the corresponding tasks.
Sidewalk: 200 feet of perimeter sidewalk around a 2,500 sq.ft. house footprint; include costs for miscellaneous material, equipment, and waste.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Asphalt sidewalk: excavate, prepare, spread, tamp, and sealant finish 200 linear feet of 48" wide by 3" thick slab with aggregate/sand base.||$8.73||per foot||200||$1,745|
|Upgrade: additional cost for 200 feet of cast in place curb 8" tall.||$1.74||per foot||200||$349|
|Material Cost||$10.47||per foot||200||$2,094|
|+ Labor Cost (base)||$36||per hour||26||$936|
|+ Labor Cost (upgrade)||$36||per hour||20||$720|
|Total Cost||$18.75||per foot||200||$3,750|
Other considerations and costs
- These prices are for service in the immediate service area of the provider.
- Taxes and permit fees are not included.
- Additional hand-excavation of typical soil will cost around $50 per cubic yard.
- Typical additional residential site clearing and preparation tasks range in cost from $0.50 to $1.50 per sq.ft. depending on amount and size of material, and transport.
- These flatwork examples do not include engineering attention to curves or inclines.
Check out our guide if you need a loan for your home improvement project.
- This project is not highly suitable for DIY requiring a special set of tools and skills.
- Beyond construction skills, asphalt is applied hot and delays can cause poor results.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2015.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.