Asphalt is a common material choice for an exterior driveway and parking apron.
You will find that the cost to install average asphalt driveway depends upon material and finish grade, surface area and material volume, preparation and special needs, and the labor rate.
In the following table the Labor Cost figure is what the able and prepared DIY persons should expect to save by performing the corresponding tasks.
Driveway: 300 feet of single lane driveway with additional 500 sq.ft. of parking apron; include costs for miscellaneous material, equipment, and waste.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Asphalt driveway: transport all material 5 miles; machine spread asphalt to 4” depth in 3 layers atop 4" aggregate base along 300' of 8' wide lane and 500 sq.ft. of connected parking; total 2,900 sq.ft.||$2.66||per sq.ft.||2,900||$7,707|
|Upgrade: additional cost to install 6" thick asphalt atop 6" aggregate base.||$1.23||per sq.ft.||2,900||$3,573|
|Material Cost||$3.89||per sq.ft.||2,900||$11,280|
|+ Labor Cost (standard)||$36||per hour||65||$2,340|
|+ Labor Cost (upgrade)||$36||per hour||12||$432|
|Total Cost||$4.85||per sq.ft.||2,900||$14,052|
Other considerations and costs
- These prices are for service in the immediate service area of the provider.
- Taxes and permit fees are not included.
- Additional hand-excavation of typical soil will cost around $50 per cubic yard.
- Typical additional residential site clearing and preparation tasks range in cost from $0.50 to $1.50 per sq.ft. depending on amount and size of material, and transport.
- These flatwork examples do not include engineering attention to curves or inclines.
- This project is not highly suitable for DIY requiring a special set of tools and skills.
- Beyond construction skills, asphalt is applied hot and delays can cause poor results.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2015.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.