Room Painting Costs
Room re-painting typically requires more preparation work than will new-room painting, but likely less paint. Re-painting a room is a special activity that improves the living space while protecting the building surfaces.
You will find that the cost to re-paint a room depends upon surface material, surface area, preparation and recoating requirements, accessibility, equipment rental rates, and the labor rate.
In the following table the Labor Cost figure is what the able and prepared DIY persons should expect to save by performing the complete application.
Room re-paint: prepare and re-paint 200 sq.ft. room including 480 sq.ft. of walls and 200 sq.ft. of ceiling; match existing sheetrock coatings; include waste and misc. materials.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Walls: 480 sq.ft. single coat latex on existing same.||$0.10||per sq.ft.||538||$53|
|Ceiling: 200 sq.ft. Stipple primer and second coat texture on existing smooth latex on sheetrock.||$0.22||per sq.ft.||220||$49|
|Equipment rental: paint sprayer, half day rate.||$120||per day||0.5||$60|
|UPGRADE: second coat on 480 sq.ft. walls.||$0.08||per sq.ft.||538||$44|
|Equipment and Material Cost||$1.03||per sq.ft.||200||$206|
|+ Labor Cost||$36||per hour||6||$216|
|+ Labor Cost (upgrade)||$36||per hour||1||$36|
|Total Cost||$2.29||per sq.ft.||200||$458|
Other considerations and costs
- Preparation includes minor scraping, masking and tape, and otherwise protecting nearby objects from paint spillage.
- These prices are for service in the immediate service area of the provider.
- Taxes and permit fees are not included.
- The work area must be free of all objects including furniture, rugs, and etcetera.
- This project may be suitable for the able DIY persons.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2015.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Cost to paint a room in my city
Cost to paint a room varies greatly by region. To get free estimates from local contractors, please indicate yours.
Typical cost is about
Prices range from $162 (200 sq.ft. room - DIY) to $459 (200 sq.ft. room with second coat on walls) and also vary depending on your zipcode:
Cost by city
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: