How Much Does It Cost To Re-Paint A Deck?
Deck Painting Costs
Deck re-painting typically requires more preparation work than new-deck painting. Re-painting a deck protects building material and enhances the outdoor experience.
You will find that the cost to re-paint an average deck depends upon deck material, surface area, preparation and recoating requirements, equipment rental rates, and the labor rate.
In the following table the Labor Cost figure is what the able and prepared DIY persons should expect to save by performing the corresponding tasks.
Deck re-paint: prepare and re-paint a 200 sq.ft. pinewood deck in typical good condition; deep clean existing deck material; include waste and miscellaneous materials.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Preparation: power washing, light scraping, sanding, and masking; 200 sq.ft. pinewood deck.||$0.15||per sq.ft.||220||$34|
|Deck stain: roll and brush one-coat premium tinted stain product on 200 sq.ft.; algae and mildew resistant.||$0.78||per sq.ft.||220||$171|
|Equipment rental: power washer, half day rate.||$120||per day||0.5||$60|
|Equipment and Material Cost||$1.32||per sq.ft.||200||$265|
|+ Labor Cost (preparation)||$28||per hour||6||$168|
|+ Labor Cost (painting)||$36||per hour||4||$144|
|Total Cost||$2.88||per sq.ft.||200||$577|
Other considerations and costs
- Preparation includes typical scraping, sanding, masking and tape, and otherwise protecting nearby objects from paint spillage.
- These prices are for service in the immediate service area of the provider.
- Taxes and permit fees are not included.
- The work area must be free of all objects including furniture, rugs, and etcetera.
- This project is highly suitable for the able DIY persons.
- Partial DIY is possible by taking on the preparation task leaving the painting to a professional.
- Preparation activity will require simple scraping and sanding tools.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2015.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$657
- Bronx, NY$540
- Brooklyn, NY$450
- Philadelphia, PA$561
- Washington, DC$487
- Atlanta, GA$441
- Miami, FL$401
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$420
- Minneapolis, MN$493
- Chicago, IL$574
- Houston, TX$592
- San Antonio, TX$397
- Austin, TX$450
- Denver, CO$380
- Phoenix, AZ$401
- Las Vegas, NV$440
- Los Angeles, CA$496
- San Diego, CA$450
- San Jose, CA$544
- Seattle, WA$398
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: