How Much Does It Cost To Add A Home Theater Room?
Home Theater Room Addition Costs
The idea of enjoying time in a home theater appeals to almost anyone who has ever enjoyed watching a movie or other sort of entertainment. You don’t have to go out to the theater and pay premium prices for a movie night with family or friends, and you don’t even have to step outside of your home. Not only is this a fun idea, but something within your means if you have the room to spare and the budget to invest.
Home theater room addition: 220 sq.ft. addition.
|New space addition: blueprints, framing, insulation, footings, wiring, roofing, siding, window, door, drywall, etc.||$124 per sq.ft.||220||$27,280|
|Sound system wiring: a surround sound system needs to be wired into the room, as will the video projector, new lighting and electrical outlets are needed, too.||$6.82 per sq.ft.||220||$1,500.40|
|Soundproofing||$4.55-$11.73 per sq.ft.||220||$1,001-$2,580.60|
|Painting||$1.37-$1.91 per sq.ft.||220||$301.40-$420.20|
|Media center: speakers, projection system.||$500-$666.67 each||3||$1,500 to $2,000.01|
|Labor Cost (electrician)||$64 per hour||24||$1,536|
|Labor Cost (carpenter)||$60-$65||8-32||$480-$2,080|
Other considerations and costs
- Furnishings are not part of this budget and can boost the overall cost of the home theater substantially. Specialized home theater seating is available, but standard sofas or recliners are also a good option.
- It is possible to work with an expert in home theaters and media centers to enable the theater system to simultaneously dim lights and control projection functions from a single panel, but as might be imagined, this drives prices upward.
- Soundproofing may be outside of the budget, but installing sound barriers such as acoustic panels to suppress sound transfer can greatly improve the overall experience
- Purchasing custom wall art to work as camouflage for the wall-mounted speakers is a good option and ensures a satisfactory finish.
- Investing in a Blu-ray player, subscribing to streaming services, and investing in a game console as well as a home media center or home theater-dedicated PC can greatly enhance the use of the room.
Check out our guide if you need a loan for your home improvement project.
At first consideration, a home theater does not seem like a project that requires professionals at every step or phase. However, a quality theater experience only comes from the work of experts with years installing and designing such systems. It is a set of very detailed steps that result in a premium home theater, and so it is best to begin the process with the help of experts who can also ensure the highest ROI possible.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$57,026
- Bronx, NY$46,860
- Brooklyn, NY$39,056
- Philadelphia, PA$48,723
- Washington, DC$42,279
- Atlanta, GA$38,252
- Miami, FL$34,790
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$36,443
- Minneapolis, MN$42,752
- Chicago, IL$49,811
- Houston, TX$51,377
- San Antonio, TX$34,488
- Austin, TX$39,051
- Denver, CO$32,994
- Phoenix, AZ$34,811
- Las Vegas, NV$38,207
- Los Angeles, CA$43,050
- San Diego, CA$39,066
- San Jose, CA$47,187
- Seattle, WA$34,546
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: